Author Topic: Gibson - please pay attention to what you're doing  (Read 3742 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Gibson - please pay attention to what you're doing
« on: November 10, 2014, 03:16:39 AM »
I was tinkering around with my NR Thunderbird at the weekend and I removed the control cavity cover.  One of the screws seemed real easy to remove, like it wasn't screwed into much.  That's because it's screwed into next to naff all.  That's because it's in completely the wrong place.  I mean not off by a little and it's blowing past the bit of wood it's supposed to be in.  The wooden sticky out bit where the screw was supposed to go has not even been drilled.

Stock shot, with correct cover

Mine, spot the difference?

That top screw should be a couple of inches to the left.  Gibson, I love you, but why for the love of all that's accurate can't you spot these things?  Someone has made the cover wrong, and either no-one spotted it (I doubt it, I spotted it in seconds and I'm no expert) or more likely no-one gave enough of a damn to send it back down the line to get redone.

FFS Gibson!  Get your head in the game!
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson - please pay attention to what you're doing
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 06:33:32 AM »
Not surprising............I guess it's to be expected.  Like the poor installation of the big old mud bucker style pups with insufficient foam padding underneath, making them crooked in their mounts and uneven in their operation.  Minor detail that never should have happened.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:38:29 PM »

Gibson, you make loving you so hard  :sad:

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »
Considering they shipped some of these with the TRCs printed upside down I'm not surprised a all. When things are so obviously wrong it seems like they just don't care about some of the details.  "do the strings tune and noise comes out?... if yes, ship it."

Still...I keep buying...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:30:08 PM »
I like the old ones...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 09:26:51 PM »
I like the old ones...

Gibson's occasional sloppiness goes way back. There were late 50s Juniors and Specials with the tune-o-matic posts in the wrong place. Then there were engineering mistakes like the T-Bird bridge with not enough travel. Not to mention another certain bass bridge that has the unfair nickname of Evertilt.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 04:42:30 AM »
And really is a perfect bridge if it had an additional string holder!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 07:26:15 AM »
And really is a perfect bridge if it had an additional string holder!

Not a lot of support there  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 09:34:53 AM »
"do the strings tune and noise comes out?... if yes, ship it."

LOL!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 01:58:12 PM »

Not a lot of support there  ;D

You mean string to saddle pressure? That is of course key.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 02:47:42 PM »
Gibson's occasional sloppiness goes way back. There were late 50s Juniors and Specials with the tune-o-matic posts in the wrong place. Then there were engineering mistakes like the T-Bird bridge with not enough travel. Not to mention another certain bass bridge that has the unfair nickname of Evertilt.

Not to mention that they didn't use counters on their winding machines resulting in pickups that were inconsistent from one to another.   One more reason ThunderBucker and I refer to them like this:

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 06:00:50 PM »
I guess they could just go back to stamping every third one produced with "Second".

Or the good ol days when the flawed cherry finishes just got a coat of metallic and where called Burgundy Mist.

Still...I keep buying.

I guess I just like the sound better  :-\

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 07:54:08 PM »
I guess they could just go back to stamping every third one produced with "Second".

Or the good ol days when the flawed cherry finishes just got a coat of metallic and where called Burgundy Mist.

Still...I keep buying.

I guess I just like the sound better  :-\

If it's the way it should be, the sound is going to be unique, the unmistakable deep tone maybe being the most noticeable thing.  That's what I like about bass.  I don't want a clanky, shrill, "modern" sound.  Frankly, I hate that.  Gibson does deep better than most.  Of course, there are plenty of really good brands out there--no doubt. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal