Author Topic: live eb4l  (Read 4617 times)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
live eb4l
« on: May 25, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »
hi chaps on the weekend my band played as part of new zealand music month at a 12 hour event in waikanae north of wellington.heres a video-"http://www.youtube.com/v/g8ito-JJvXc&hl=en&fs=1"  first gig for my biamp system and you can nearly hear it too. if the link wont work go here-www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=57935179
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:59:05 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: live eb4l
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:10:04 AM »
Yep, working now...

Sounds a bit like one of my cousins earlier bands (Mr Blonde)... he lived in Wellington some years back... now lurking round Sydney still dreaming of making it...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
No issues bending notes.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:58:59 PM »
ah yes thats because i replaced the superhumbucking note strangler  in there with a mudbucker from a 1966 eb3.
Louder bass!.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 09:00:51 AM »
Not many EB4Ls with the original pups surviving then. Ironic if you think how they wanted to improve on the mudbucker with it. Mine is still stock, but I probably wouldn't play a whole live set with it now that I bend more than I used to.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 02:19:27 PM »
i actualy liked the sound of the stock pickup,i just couldnt live with the note stopping when i bent a string.i changed it in 1978 so god knows where it is now,shame because if there was some way to widen the pole pieces they would be fine pickups.
Louder bass!.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 02:33:37 PM »
Wouldn't it be possible to connect the pole pieces with a metal strip?
To "guide the flux", is that how you say it in english?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 02:55:31 PM »
I don't think that would do it without other changes.

There have been other one coil per string pickups, I would imagine at least some of them work well without dropping off drastically. A different size or shape of coil or different magnet properties could change the field.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 01:51:54 PM »
i actualy liked the sound of the stock pickup,i just couldnt live with the note stopping when i bent a string.i changed it in 1978 so god knows where it is now,shame because if there was some way to widen the pole pieces they would be fine pickups.
I did the same with my EB4L for the exact same reason ! I turned it into a EB3L.  :o
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »
nice.i bet that sounds good.perhaps not quite an eb3l because it  think they may have had mahogany necks.i see you werent impressed with the 2 point bridge either...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 04:25:46 PM by tubehead »
Louder bass!.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 07:07:07 AM »
EB-3Ls came both ways: with and without mahogany necks. The giveaway is:

- anything with a middle mudbucker = maple neck, irrespective whether with two point or three point bridge

- anything with a mudbucker right behind the neck = maho neck, irrespective whether slothead or reg headstock.

From what I've seen over the years, there are definitley more maple neck EB-3Ls around than the earlier all maho ones. And of those the ones that were long scale, but not slothead, are probably the rarest. I'm not even sure I've ever seen an EB-3L with maho neck that was not slothead, I do remember an EB-0L as a non-slothead though, so similar EB-3Ls are likely.

I actually find the maple neck EB-3Ls the more versatile bass. Together with the change of the pup position and the neck material, they also aligned the four varitone sounds to one proper volume, something sixties EB-3s can drive you mad with. And the later settings sound like only one of them is filtered (the last one) with pos 1 being neck, pos 2 being bridge (which is actually useful on the long scales as the bridge is farther back, they did not move the bridge pup correpondingly, but thankfully left it where it would be with a short scale) and pos 3 is both pups.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 09:19:10 AM »

From what I've seen over the years, there are definitley more maple neck EB-3Ls around than the earlier all maho ones. And of those the ones that were long scale, but not slothead, are probably the rarest. I'm not even sure I've ever seen an EB-3L with maho neck that was not slothead, I do remember an EB-0L as a non-slothead though, so similar EB-3Ls are likely.

You sure they exist? I've never even heard of a mahogany neck EB-0L or EB-3L that wasn't a slothead.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 01:24:59 PM »
Now you're making me think.  :-\ When I was still on the quest for an EB-0L (an issue thankfully mooted by your good instincts and overly liberal gun laws in the Lone Star State), I wanted a maho neck one, because I already had a maple neck EB-3L. And I thought I had seen an EB-0L with a pup up front and a reg headstock and passed on it, thinking a slothead would be cooler, but now that you mention it, maybe it was a maple neck EB-0L with the middle pup after all.

All this makes me wonder whether the slothead was an invention to combat the neck heaviness of especially the longscale EBs? It can't have been for stability (though I have three slotheads and none of them is twisted, much less broken) and it surely wasn't a cool look at the time, I think the classical guitar look would have been a huge turn off for me as a young rock-oriented player. These days its timeless unfashionability is of course cult.  8)

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 03:24:27 PM »
did the the maple neck eb3ls have the 3 point bridge?that would be one cool bass.
Louder bass!.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 03:27:02 PM »
All the ones I've seen have had 3 pointers, not that I've seen that many. Uwe seems to be saying that there are some with 2 pointers.