Author Topic: I was truly worried ...  (Read 6678 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: I was truly worried ...
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »
She's paid to write by Gibson; what do you expect?  Gibson has been making some of these very same claims (e.g. about the wiring, which look the same to me in their promo pics) on their product pages.  I'd go on about the ethics of 'sponsored content' but this is actually published on the Gibson website vs an 'independant' mag.  They probably give her point form notes to work off of - if not ghost writing it completely.

The Epi being almost the same as the SG is another marketing ploy - those who can afford the Gibson brand know better (or just want the right logo on the headstock ) and those who can't are consoled by being able to get almost what they want.

... also, when it comes to tone descriptors, thick and punchy are almost mutually exclusive.

I don't mind that this is advertisement, but it could at least be good advertisement! You could write something meaningful about a TBird or something joky:

"Where other basses distract their players with the possibility of high register access - and, let's face it, none of your bandmates wants you to go there ... -, the TBird is educational, it guides you to those low notes that keep you and everyone else happy!"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:39:13 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 10:44:24 PM »
I know it's a crock of marketing shit masquerading as independent journalism, but she could be a little less obvious and a little more accurate.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »
But then it wouldn't be effective marketting  :-* :P :mrgreen:
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 06:35:30 PM »

It might be a little less effective but that could be counteracted by having a writer who actually knows what he or she is talking about. This woman is pretty clueless. She proved that with her previous bass article.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 04:23:00 AM »
Some people (not necessarily me) might say that being completely clueless about basses makes her the perfect representative to speak on behalf of Gibson :-X

I'm still patiently waiting to see if the mysterious Bass V ever appears...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 10:55:49 AM »

It might be a little less effective but that could be counteracted by having a writer who actually knows what he or she is talking about. This woman is pretty clueless. She proved that with her previous bass article.

The problem I see is that anyone who knows enough about guitars and basses to shell out the kind of money Gibsons are priced at will most likely see her BS for what it is, which diminishes the brand by association; not that Henry hasn't also been doing that for years. Come to think of it, she's a perfect match for Gibson these days.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 12:31:52 PM »
Perhaps all the myriad of basses that are just popping up are a result of several renegades who work in the department and throwing the dice to see what sticks. The fact that they have ended up this year with 2-3 basses and now having tried out both the SG and the TB, I can say they are a quality instrument and you have to pay the price. Of course with Anne Erikson heading up the PR is just a way to create more dialogue.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
the prices are nuts. only for the gibson diehards i think.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 01:36:35 PM »
I wish Henry J sucked up a little more to my inherent German superiority and made his products cheaper for me. But the Polish have always proven kind of stubborn in obliging us when we made our sensible, earnest requests, even during our more popular historic phases.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 01:43:18 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 06:04:41 PM »
If the guitars don't sell well enough at the 30% increased prices, then no doubt Henry will make adjustments and the basses will follow suit. If the guitars sell well enough for him, then he won't care whether or not the basses sell.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2015, 05:12:40 AM »
Here is Tyran(t) "Gunbelt" Porter mercilessly pushing the metal envelope with The Dööbie Brözzerz, really thrashing it out!!! Bang that joint/doobie that doesn't bang!!!

That's so cool - I used to own that very same bass.