Author Topic: Finally bought an EB-0  (Read 6628 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Finally bought an EB-0
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »
Cool.  I guess all the Gibson fans on this group have known this for years, but those early mudbuckers are the most outrageous pickups I have ever heard.  It was a real revelation to hear that pickup in my EB-0 when I got it working right.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 05:49:20 AM »
Cool.  I guess all the Gibson fans on this group have known this for years, but those early mudbuckers are the most outrageous pickups I have ever heard.  It was a real revelation to hear that pickup in my EB-0 when I got it working right.

So true, nothing else like them.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 08:16:20 AM »
I'm looking forward to mine!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 12:09:55 PM »
The mud has landed.  It's in well-used shape (scratches, dents, dins, PO's initials carved into the back, cigarette burn on the headstock) and will clean up nicely.  No breaks or repairs and the neck is pretty straight.  I'll check the truss rod when I have a minute.  The Mesa loved the mudbucker and it really is in a class of its own when it comes to bottom end.  It has rounds on it and it stills sounds like mud!  No way it's a 68 like the seller said.  The bridge, knobs and stenciled logo/flower pot say 70's to me.  Anyone else think so?  More later.............

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 12:13:16 PM »
It has rounds on it and it stills sounds like mud!

It is truely a trebless pickup, the only way to ad attack or treble is with adding another pickup. You can get kind of a plunky sound picking right near the bridge.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »
It is truely a trebless pickup, the only way to ad attack or treble is with adding another pickup. You can get kind of a plunky sound picking right near the bridge.

Well, the other way to add treble is to put it through a fuzz! Then filter away! Well, that's my approach anyway...

Congrats on the excellent score!!!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »
Well, the other way to add treble is to put it through a fuzz! Then filter away! Well, that's my approach anyway...

Congrats on the excellent score!!!

As Jake pointed out long ago, one of the best pickups to use with fuzz & overdrive effects, they take on a whole new life.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
Divine Mud and Holy Fallout!!! The Almighty Mud who created heaven and earth! He knoweth no language, yet his voice is heard ...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:43:07 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »
 Hmmmmm
 Looks like a '68 to me Bill, my since departed '67 EB3 had all those hallmarks.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »
Hmmmmm
 Looks like a '68 to me Bill, my since departed '67 EB3 had all those hallmarks.

Agreed - I think of '70s ones as having the mudbucker away from the neck or at the very least a mounting ring? My Melody Maker Bass seems to be a '68 and it has the ringless mudbucker like yours...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the valley of Mud,
I shall fear no tweeters: for thou art all bass;
Thy chrome pickup cover and handrest, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a gig for me in the presence of my bandmates;
Thou annointest my head with Mud; my amp runneth over.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »

Another option too - and it won't get you all the way out of the low hovering clouds - is to wire the coils in parallel.  I had done my '69 EB-0 up like this, and the parallel mode would shave a couple hundred pounds off the sound.  Still sounds decidedly "mudbucker", though (and that's a good thing, innit?  8)).  

I don't get the impression you were looking to change/modify it, but I do have some details and sound-clips here for anyone curious:  http://www.hillscloud.com/2011/06/1969-gibson-eb-0-pickup-coil-tap-and-series-parallel-modification/

I also think it looks like a '68.  Seems like a dead ringer for the one I had (I had sold it, since its sound overlapped so much with my '66 EB-2D and '68 EB-3).  Your's is in much nicer shape, though.

Congrats!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
never been and probably at my advanced age,  never be a mudder.... :mrgreen:

that being said i still own  some.  My 64 is actually a great bass although the bridge design is lacking...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 03:07:48 PM »
Still looks like a '68 to me also, check the pots................... That hand rest wasn't used on many basses after '67, I think they just used them up on the early '68s. Nice score!  :toast:
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
Adding treble to a muddie is oxymoronic. It is not meant to be and fiddling with creation.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...