Author Topic: One for ze kölleckshün ...  (Read 6577 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
One for ze kölleckshün ...
« on: March 29, 2008, 02:18:56 PM »
My favourite Alembickerer, Shawn aka Kungfusheriff, made me aware of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Primavera-Bass-Guitar-Prototype_W0QQitemZ150231091638QQihZ005QQcategoryZ64402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(Hope the link works, I'm doing this via Blackberry as I'm standing in the hall of a Good Charlotte/The Hives/Velvet Revolver concert my 13 year old has dragged me to.)

Looks like a typical piece from the early nineties Phil Jones era, the tell-tale Barts give it away, he loved those and danged them on any bass he could. I saw a similar prototype to this a couple of years ago on ebay, the upper horn was more Junior style, but it had the same characteristic lower cutaway bevelling. Primavera? Sounds like a pizza ...

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: One for ze kölleckshün ...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 02:36:19 PM »
Very nice.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »
Man I should have gone to law school !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:43:18 PM »
Cool. It has the roundness on the rear part of a Grabber/Ripper and the upper horn...well it looks like a banana. Interesting to see he made one solely out of Maple. Maybe that's why it was rejected.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 04:35:35 PM »
Velvets are darn loud tonight. And Slash endearingly sloppy. Duff is iconic, imagine a tall David Bowie playing bass, but he actually sounds best whenever he gets out that warm-sounding Duesenberg Les Paul shape rip-off and stops clanking and clicking all over. Still, a compelling overall performance. Weiland is a much better singer live than I expected!

Your faithful scribe live from Velvet Revolver!

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »
"Endearingly Sloppy" is one of the best guitarist compliments I've ever heard.
Half-speed Hawkwind

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 05:52:06 PM »
Primavera is noted for its al dente tone.  :D

It has one bid on it. Yours?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 07:30:40 PM »
No, haven't bid yet, will tomorrow, just got home and it's 4.30 am, good night!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 07:49:28 PM »
WOW,Uwe thats like a modern version of your Ripper prototype.you need it.you must get it. :D
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 03:58:54 AM »
Cool looking bass, also reminds me of the final Money bass product in some ways too.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 05:20:29 AM »
Nice one!

Duff's great! And he plays Duesenberg? Nice! Duesenberg has a new bass with cool retro elements and also some modern things. And of course very Duesenberg.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 12:11:48 PM »
Nice one!

Duff's great! And he plays Duesenberg? Nice! Dusenberg has a new bass with cool retro elements and also some modern things. And of course very Duesenberg.

I love the look of th Duesenberg LP-style bass.  Tell me more about them!  (Sorry for this hijacking Uwe!).  Never mind, I'm gonna start a new thread in the OTHER BASSES forum.  Come on over and tell me about 'em.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 12:37:39 PM »
"Endearingly Sloppy" is one of the best guitarist compliments I've ever heard.

It is no secret that our dear German business lawyer is a dedicated Ritchie Blackmore fan. I once sort of mentioned me enjoying his I-can-play-sloppy-whenever-I-want-to attitude and Uwe's reaction was kind of ummm..defensive. ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »
I've played a Duesenberg once, but I can't remember how it sounded or felt! With VR, Duff plays mostly Fenders, a black Aerdodyne one,  his signature one in white and I think another signature one in black. They all sound similar, deep lows and snarling highs, hardly any mides so as to not get into the way of the guitars, he picks right over the splitcoil and must have the pups close to the strings, so its clacke-dee-clacke-dee-oooomph-oooomph all of the time. He probably switches basses because they have different tunings (they're all four strings). When he played the Duesnberg, he suddenly had rich mids and a more subtle, less focused low end plus the snarling highs were gone. He used it for the more ballady stuff only.

I read in an interview how he is - when he's not rehabbing or doing martial arts - currently taking bass lessons because he wants to play finger style rather than pick style. He attempted that a few times during the gig, chucking away his pick and playing - a little awkwardly - with his fingers. It hugely influenced his sound. Since he's not a seasoned finger player, his signal became very uneven, lost focus and volume and all that clacke-dee-clack attack was immediately gone, all you could here attackwise  was the strings hitting the pups now and then. He soon reverted to pick playing, but tried finger style again later. He'll get better over time I'm sure  :D (as a non finger player all my sympathies are with him, my finger playing is ghastly too).   

Uwe

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 01:27:10 PM »
Hi Uwe,

You could copy/paste this to the Duesenberg thread at the other basses forum?

And isn't it time you learn to play finger style too? I could visit you to teach you for a rate which is like a quarter of your lawyers rate?;)And you can get rid of all those 300 ugly plectrums... No worries if they don;t produce them anymore;)