Author Topic: The difference between ignorance and stupidity....  (Read 10602 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
The difference between ignorance and stupidity....
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
...is hard to discern in this video...and she finished sixth on American Idol and got a nice recording contract.  I hope she remembers to breathe.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: The difference between ignorance and stupidity....
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
To be fair, the conspiracy nutters down in the South where she's obviously from have probably confused the hell out of her with the whole EU as globalist takeover; NAU is next stuff. ... does anyone actually understand what the EU really is (besides the typically thrown about  political opposites of "German proxy control of a continent" or "economic/trade bloc").  

[/totally jokin]
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:32:03 PM »
I'm just wondering how she got out of grade school without knowing Hungary is a country - and that "Europe" is not a country.  That's a stunning level of ignorance.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »
Ignorance and stupidity abound here in the US. During the whole 4 year controversy over Obama's birth certificate I read one poll which said that 10% of Americans polled didn't know Hawaii was a state. That probably explains a lot...

When I was in college another poll among students here revealed some incredible answers: two of which were that the capitol of New York is New York City and that there was a bridge over the Atlantic from America to Europe.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
Perhaps you judge her too harshly. Kellie's whole schtick on AI was to play up the ditz angle. I'm reasonably sure that's what was going on in this case as well. She does alot philanthropic and charity work, and considering her upbringing, things could have turned out way different. There are those who started with far more that have fared far worse.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 04:11:57 PM »
But there is so much to learn and our language doesn't make it any easier. Seen misused lately:

Collage for college
bear for bare
there for they're

I'm still a little shakey on capital and capitol, but I think the building is the capitol and the seat of power is the capital

and they all pass the spellchacker.

And BTW, I didn't know where Budapest was either.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:17:40 PM by the mojo hobo »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »
If she's brighter than she's making herself out to be she's confirming the belief among too many Americans that 'being intelligent isn't cool'.  IMO that's one of the major reasons the world is eating our lunch along with lowered expectations combined with a major sense of entitlement.

That said, probably half the US population couldn't pick Europe off a map, much less Hungary.  Or know that there's no A in 'definitely' or the difference between 'imply' and 'infer'.  None of that has anything to do with intelligence, though it does reveal ignorance.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »
... And BTW, I didn't know where Budapest was either.

Buda being one side of the river, and Pest, the other... about 150 years back the two cities became one but they still technically "exist" as two seperate entities...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
Yoorup...it's like a whole 'nother country! 

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 05:03:50 PM »
I'm just wondering how she got out of grade school without knowing Hungary is a country - and that "Europe" is not a country.  That's a stunning level of ignorance.

I've never really paid much attention to her intelligence level.   8)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 05:18:01 PM »
Ignorance and stupidity abound here in the US.

Ignorance and stupidity are endemic throughout most of the civilized world.

FIFY. Look up "chavs", drifting in any Middle Eastern country, or that German guy jumping in the pool (filled with ice), etc., on YouTube and behold ignorance that never set foot on American soil.  :mrgreen:

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 05:21:16 PM »
And Robert, God bless you.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »
FIFY. Look up "chavs", drifting in any Middle Eastern country, or that German guy jumping in the pool (filled with ice), etc., on YouTube and behold ignorance that never set foot on American soil.  :mrgreen:

Then look up test scores in math and science in those countries compared to the USA...and check the number of foreigners getting advanced degrees from elite U.S. Math, Science and Engineering grad schools and taking them back to their home countries.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 08:45:54 PM »
That whole show was staged. She's not that dumb.

And Robert, God bless you.

+1

Now here's some entertaining stupidity

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »
Then look up test scores in math and science in those countries compared to the USA...and check the number of foreigners getting advanced degrees from elite U.S. Math, Science and Engineering grad schools and taking them back to their home countries.

That's the thing though. I never said it was a zero sum game. There are intelligent go-getters all over the world and they're often surrounded by those who... don't choose to work for all that life offers. Sometimes the smart ones are lazy and do little to nothing while some of those in the middle of the pack (or lower) work their asses off and make a success of things, even without the benefit of superior natural intellect. The immigrant (or short term visitor) ethic in America is nothing new. Many of us who grew up here don't realize the opportunities that generally surround us. Many of those who come from elsewhere do and take advantage of it, as they should. But American kids who are provided with a decent upbringing and an education that focuses on more than unicorns and self esteem can still compete just fine in the world.