Author Topic: The FDP is closing  (Read 3603 times)

ilan

• View Profile
The FDP is closing
« on: December 05, 2019, 06:13:00 AM »
http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=827354

Sad to see it close. 20+ years ago it was the first place I checked every day.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: The FDP is closing
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 07:02:08 AM »
Did you see the thread he started below the Closing thread? It looks like some of the regulars will try to start a free forum.

The rise of social media has affected most forums. It's sad to see the FDP go, but you have to admit, Chris has done it his way.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 07:26:42 AM »
Did you see the thread he started below the Closing thread? It looks like some of the regulars will try to start a free forum.

The rise of social media has affected most forums. It's sad to see the FDP go, but you have to admit, Chris has done it his way.

That's quite true. I was active there at one time. Chris ran the FDP his way, including enforcing the opinions expressed there, as was his right on that privately owned forum, and is Dave's here. However, I admit a hunch that the political posture of the admins was a contributing reason for the reduced activity on that website.

I believe it was  at the FDP that I met Dr. Bill, who invited me here. I found this forum to be both more friendly and more enjoyable. My thanks go out to Dave and all of you for maintaining that delightful environment.

The FDP was an excellent site for Fender-related information, and many of the members were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. However, I think TalkBass is a very good source of Fender information, and of course, this is the place to go for Gibson, T-bird and Rick information...not to mention trains, planes, and mid-20th century Germanic memes.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 08:33:55 AM »
Funny, I never went there.

:rimshot:

But my Fender allergies aside, it's a loss of micro-culture whenever a place like that closes, RIP.

As a social media recluse - Facebook, My Space, Instagram, Twitter - you name it, I have never been there :mrgreen:, this here is the only place I go. And I don't avoid the other stuff for any fancy philosophical reasons - I'm not worried about being "tracked" nor do I deem any aspects of my personal life of major interest to alien reptiles, "The Deep State", Herr Zuckerberg (I only think he's weird and sometimes irresponsible) or whatever other perceived threats there are out there to some people - I just can't be bothered and have other things to do.

I don't even do computer games, they bore me shitless - I can't see what has substantially improved with them since that silly ping pong thing in the 70ies and Pac-Man that followed it shortly after. I don't even own a computer (desk- or laptop) at home (hence you hear little from me on weekends). My wife has one, but I don't know the password.  ;D

But I still buy a (paper) newspaper everyday - of course a conservative one, so I know what the other side is thinking. (Just like Steve Bannon reads the lefty Guardian, smart man, albeit with horrible views.) Reverse-echo chambers so to say.  :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:52:10 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 11:36:23 AM »
I never went there.  I don't like to see a forum shut down, though. 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:26:55 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 12:33:37 PM »
I never went there, but it's definitely a sign of the times.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »
That's quite true. I was active there at one time. Chris ran the FDP his way, including enforcing the opinions expressed there, as was his right on that privately owned forum, and is Dave's here. However, I admit a hunch that the political posture of the admins was a contributing reason for the reduced activity on that website.

You hit the nail on the head. His no politics rule turned into politics allowed as long as your views agreed with his. That drove away a lot of good people. Others protested and got kicked out.

Still, it used to be a good place. Remember, Dude was the moderator of the bass forum there, whn Chris kicked him out in 2001, that's when he started the Pit.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 07:58:39 AM »
You hit the nail on the head. His no politics rule turned into politics allowed as long as your views agreed with his. That drove away a lot of good people. Others protested and got kicked out.

Thanks, Dave. That's an accurate summation - and it's why I'm here.

I sure have no argument with the merits of the people there (some of whom I had the pleasure to meet in my travels) and the information they provided.  It was a good resource for Fender owners and enthusiasts. And it's clear to me that in the world of electric guitars and basses, Fender and Gibson have been the 300-pound gorillas since the 1950's, so it's great to have places where people can learn about them.

As others have commented, we are all a bit poorer when information sources dry up.  I'm not sure how long the FDP pages will be accessible, but they contain a lot of good information.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 02:49:39 PM »
I joined the FDP in April 2001. I'm reading through my posts from the first years. It's a weird feeling meeting yourself from 17-18 years ago.

(He's 17 years old now and a killer bass player - mostly jazz - and pianist)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »
This may seem odd, but I think I remember reading that post!

Bubbalou88

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 09:38:08 PM »
Been on the FDP since early 2000’s. Started out great. In last few years I started to lose interest because many of the good ones either passed away, got ticked off and left, just disappeared for own reasons etc.
I haven’t been on it much in the last year and was surprised when I decided to check it out a few days ago there were notices everywhere of shutting down. Yes the forums administrator could be touchy, I just avoided the touchy subjects as I was only concerned about helping others or getting help and I can say it truly was amazing in the area of Help. Anyway, glad to be here (thanks to ilan) ;)
CEO of Retired

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 01:13:41 AM »
Welcome. Glad to see you here.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 08:18:10 AM »
The rise of social media has affected most forums.

Gotta agree with that. I was already losing interest in the Ric Resource Forum (so many of the same topics ad nauseam, a little too PC/G-rated) and once all the groups started on Facebook, I stopped logging in at all.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
Been on the FDP since early 2000’s. Started out great. In last few years I started to lose interest because many of the good ones either passed away, got ticked off and left, just disappeared for own reasons etc.
I haven’t been on it much in the last year and was surprised when I decided to check it out a few days ago there were notices everywhere of shutting down. Yes the forums administrator could be touchy, I just avoided the touchy subjects as I was only concerned about helping others or getting help and I can say it truly was amazing in the area of Help. Anyway, glad to be here (thanks to ilan) ;)

Welcome! I remember you from the FDP, although it's probably been a dozen years since I posted anything there.

Hushnel has registered too, I remember him and his beautiful mahogany P Bass.

Bubbalou88

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 06:24:17 PM »
Thanks, I remember you also. Wondered what happened  :)

Maybe you can go to the Bass section of the FDP and address some concerns there about a person having Malware and Adware warnings on this forum  after they registered and got on the forum

FYI, I am not experiencing these things
CEO of Retired