Author Topic: NAD - odyssey  (Read 4870 times)

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
Re: NAD - odyssey
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 10:46:50 PM »
Again, just one opinion, but I haven't heard anything from Markbass that I like. Even if they eventually make something I might like, no way I'd buy it because Guitar Center is their US distributor. I stopped shopping there because they didn't want to let me try out a bass unless it was through any of their Markbass amps and cabs. Second time that happened within a month, that was it. Can't try out a bass through gear you're familiar with? Forget it.

I don't like Guitar Center, but here in NJ you can plug any bass into any amp they have on the floor. Last time I was there (two weeks ago) I didn't even see too many Markbass amps.

The big problem though is in the busy stores the basses are so messed up that you can't even try them out. The strings are a mile high, the knobs are falling off and the pots are lose, etc.

After reading these rave reviews on the Markbass stuff when it first came out, I really wanted to check it out, but there was no distributor until GC got them. Then I tried a few out and though "OK, I don't see what the fuss is about". They were nice and clean and all, if not a little thin and dry sounding. I like my Trace better.  ;D  Jeff Berlin got a nice tone out of his when I saw him a couple of times.  But I'd still take a Markbass over an Ampeg.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 02:00:53 PM »
And I'll take my Mesa over either.  :)

Before I moved back to Minnesota, I was occasionally in the area of the San Antonio GC and would stop in to buy strings and just look around to see if there was anything new. I had tried the Markbass heads and combos just because of an over-enthusiastic salesman ("have you heard the new Markbass?!!) and didn't particularly care for them -- not bad, just not my tone. One day there was a new MM Sterling I wanted to try, had to ask for a cable, and instead of just handing it to me, a salesman says "let me hook you up to this Markbass (whatever model)." I said no thanks, I'll just use the G-K setup they had. The dumbass tried arguing with me! He finally let me have the cable and left the bass room. After I had been playing about a minute, he comes back, grabs another bass off the wall, plugs into one of the Markbass amps, cranks it and proceeds to slap and pop the shit out of it so loud I couldn't hear the Sterling even though I was sitting right in front of the G-K cab. It had to be deliberate. I just put the bass down and walked out of the store.

A couple months later I was back again, the Sterling was still there and there was a cable handy. Plugged in, started to play, and wouldn't you know it, the same idiot salesman walked into the room and did the same thing. Once again, I walked out without saying a word. That was four or five years ago and I haven't been back to a GC since.

SGD Lutherie

• David Schwab
    • View Profile
    • SGD Music Products
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 02:34:30 PM »
Yeah, I like my Mesa too! As soon as I get it repaired it's going to be my main head again. I've been fixing the rig up now that I play out more. I just replaced the worn out casters on the Mesa with some new Seismic Audio wheels. Next up is the head (blowing fuses) and replacing the tweeter driver. I don't miss it though. It' an amazing sounding cabinet. It's when they used Eden speakers.

Boy, that sales guy really wanted that commission! They probably wanted him to push the Markbass stuff.

Here, you hardly get more than "do you need any help?"

I've always tried to avoid salesmen. They generally don't have a clue, and are pushy.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 03:32:43 PM »
imo no salesman at gc is a good thing.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 03:36:03 PM »
imo no salesman at gc is a good thing.

IMO no GC is a better thing.

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
And I'll take my Mesa over either.  :)

Before I moved back to Minnesota, I was occasionally in the area of the San Antonio GC and would stop in to buy strings and just look around to see if there was anything new. I had tried the Markbass heads and combos just because of an over-enthusiastic salesman ("have you heard the new Markbass?!!) and didn't particularly care for them -- not bad, just not my tone. One day there was a new MM Sterling I wanted to try, had to ask for a cable, and instead of just handing it to me, a salesman says "let me hook you up to this Markbass (whatever model)." I said no thanks, I'll just use the G-K setup they had. The dumbass tried arguing with me! He finally let me have the cable and left the bass room. After I had been playing about a minute, he comes back, grabs another bass off the wall, plugs into one of the Markbass amps, cranks it and proceeds to slap and pop the shit out of it so loud I couldn't hear the Sterling even though I was sitting right in front of the G-K cab. It had to be deliberate. I just put the bass down and walked out of the store.

A couple months later I was back again, the Sterling was still there and there was a cable handy. Plugged in, started to play, and wouldn't you know it, the same idiot salesman walked into the room and did the same thing. Once again, I walked out without saying a word. That was four or five years ago and I haven't been back to a GC since.

Wow. This guy's like "Excuse me while I screw myself out of the barest possibility of a potential sale..."  What a maroon.