Author Topic: BP's wildlife expert  (Read 5427 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: BP's wildlife expert
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »
The greed/need for oil is not a BP invention. Imagine what would have happened had Obama campaigned with the plan to hike gasoline prices by an "environmental emergency tax" of say 20 cents per gallon or the promise to shut down oil drilling in the Gulf "pending a governmental review of existing security controls there". His opponents would have had a field day.

Everybody hates to see a pelican covered up all in oil - poor bird, but relatively few people are willing to alter their personal energy consumption radically or welcome administration that compels them to do so. There is a little BP in all of us, we helped rear the monster.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:26:28 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 01:21:32 AM »
There is a little BP in all of us, we helped rear the monster. 

Speaketh not it's name for fear of conjuring up the beast...

True words, indeed Uwe, I could not sum it up better...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »
I love the guy from Chevvron this morning on the radio expousing the virtues of his company over the evil BP. Saying words to the effect "it would never happen on one of our rigs" and "If BP had fully implemented 3 specific procedures and used X component this would not have been an issue".   

Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »
I heard that today. BP had a better, but more expensive emergency pipe option, but chose the "almost as good" cheaper option. Surprise. You don't get 6 billion US-Dollar quarterly results from nothing.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
The true meaning of those initials ...
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »
BP = Bungling Polluters

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 07:08:45 PM »
I love the guy from Chevvron this morning on the radio expousing the virtues of his company over the evil BP. Saying words to the effect "it would never happen on one of our rigs" and "If BP had fully implemented 3 specific procedures and used X component this would not have been an issue".   

I heard that too, but ask Chevron about their activities in Richmond, California or the mess in Ecuador or this week's oil leak in Utah:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/14/utah-oil-spill-officials-_n_611014.html
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 12:03:45 AM »
One thing died in the Gulf even before the first Pelican did: the faith in BP's technological prowess and superiority. Even with an accidental, grossly negligent  oil spill, BP could have kept this from becoming a PR disaster, had they had a quick, technically brilliant fix, a sincere apology and a generous wallet. If only!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 06:22:57 AM »
You'd think that if there was true concern for the impact of the problem, some of those other oil companies might think of offering some help, rather than take the vulture position, waiting for BP to die, and then pick up the remnants in a fire sale.

The Costner centrifuge actually looks interesting, and it makes sense.  We'll see if it works.  He was on CNN yesterday showing it off, and explaining it.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 08:00:08 AM »
You'd think that if there was true concern for the impact of the problem, some of those other oil companies might think of offering some help, rather than take the vulture position, waiting for BP to die, and then pick up the remnants in a fire sale.

I'm sure they view this as "not my problem"...and given the overall situation, if I were them I'd probably be keeping as far away as possible.  The bad PR could easily rub off, and getting involved could cost them a bunch of $$$.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 08:20:57 AM »

Just throwing this out there, and NOT intending to turn this political, but there have been offers of help from foreign governments and corporations, but our government has not waived the Jones Act, apparently under pressure from American labor unions. Read here and here.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 08:46:52 AM »
So now the Union is putting another layer on this?  Ouch.

You know, the more I learn about this whole thing, the closer I am to putting this in the "Man at his finest hour" folder.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:13:45 AM by gweimer »
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »
I'm sure they view this as "not my problem"...and given the overall situation, if I were them I'd probably be keeping as far away as possible.  The bad PR could easily rub off, and getting involved could cost them a bunch of $$$.

I think you are too kind Al. I reckon Gary is close to the mark with his vulture theory.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2010, 08:48:30 PM »
This is one man's allegation. I sure hope it's not true: BP ‘burning sea turtles alive’

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 11:03:52 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I am of the opinion how much better off this planet would be if we all just disappeared... :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2010, 11:13:44 AM »
I wanna be BP's wildlife expert for a week...I can use the money.

Then I'll slink back into invisibility after taking my beating.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."