• View Profile
Oops
« on: November 02, 2009, 09:45:29 AM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Oops
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:13:48 AM »
I hope those dudes are persistent, because it's going to take a LOOOONG time to dig down to the guy in that fork lift.  I hope he was shielded by the cage.

Ya think that their shelving material was just a LITTLE inadequate for the load they had on it???
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 11:18:24 AM »

I'm such a spazz.........
I can't drive a manual transmission  :sad:

My co workers cringe when I drive the forklift around in our warehouse.........this SO could have been me! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 11:32:28 AM »
I took some forklift training when I was in Illinois.  I have a lot of respect for guys that drive those all day.  I got nervous past the second row, and generally left the restocking to someone else.

At my first job out of high school, I worked in a photochemical packaging plant.  They used to stack the bins of finished liquids 20 ft. high.  One day, a forklift driver missed on picking up the top bin (4 layers high), and couldn't move without dropping the load.  A second forklift came over, and they managed to put the bin back on the slots without dropping everything.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
I took some forklift training when I was in Illinois.  I have a lot of respect for guys that drive those all day.  I got nervous past the second row, and generally left the restocking to someone else.

At my first job out of high school, I worked in a photochemical packaging plant.  They used to stack the bins of finished liquids 20 ft. high.  One day, a forklift driver missed on picking up the top bin (4 layers high), and couldn't move without dropping the load.  A second forklift came over, and they managed to put the bin back on the slots without dropping everything.

YEEEEEEOW!

Glad I wasn't there!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 12:40:08 PM »
Hello, Musician's Friend? I ordered one-a them naked lady guitar straps over a week ago and it ain't arrived yet. Could you check with the warehouse and find out where my order is?
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 01:58:07 PM »
Hello, Musician's Friend? I ordered one-a them naked lady guitar straps over a week ago and it ain't arrived yet. Could you check with the warehouse and find out where my order is?

Hello, Musicians Friend Warehouse........oops......can I put you on hold for a week or two?
Rick

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
My first job when I left high school was in a steel mill.  We had giant fork lifts with a 200T capacity, for carrying caster slabs and coil strip rolls around the place.  They made roadkill of more than one person who had ear muffs on and didn't see them coming.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 04:01:34 PM »
I just saw that on TV.
They said it was bottles of Vodka en Cognac.
That is once more proof that alcohol and driving don't go together :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 05:47:24 PM »
That makes it even worse! All that ethyl alcohol going to waste... although maybe there are some happy sewer rats.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 04:09:32 AM »
By the way the shelves/storage racks collapsed, they were way overloaded and not made to carry something as heavy as liquids in bottles. This shouldn't have happened even with the fork lift hitting one rack. Whoever is responsible for workplace safety in that warehouse will get some nasty questions asked by insurance and authorities - and quite rightly so.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 04:56:54 AM »
By the way the shelves/storage racks collapsed, they were way overloaded and not made to carry something as heavy as liquids in bottles. This shouldn't have happened even with the fork lift hitting one rack. Whoever is responsible for workplace safety in that warehouse will get some nasty questions asked by insurance and authorities - and quite rightly so.

My first thought was that if that was in the US (apparently it wasn't), OSHA would have probably mandated a pallet racking system capable of supporting the load. That whole mess went down like a house of cards - one wonders if the racks were anchored to the floor at all.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »
My earlier point exactly.  You can see that those racks weren't anchored, nor did they have stabilizing rails up above running from rack to rack.  Also, there's no way that hitting one upright should have caused that.  Those were just accidents waiting to happen.  There are times when one must reluctantly admit that safety regs have a point.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
Yup, this could have turned out ugly real quick. The guy in the fork lift was hopefully protected, but anybody walking around at the time ... That is a couple of tons crashing down on you from quite some height, if you visualize the amount of bottles and that each one of them should weigh about 2 pounds or slightly less.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »
I wonder if the driver had been sampling the merchandise.