Author Topic: Me versus the Mice in my appartment.  (Read 3402 times)

Blazer

Me versus the Mice in my appartment.
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:21:37 PM »
I'm sure you can recall my earlier thread about Mice in my apartment, due to the colder than usual winter those pesky little f***ers have set up camp in my kitchen due to the stove there providing them with heat and they feed off the scraps from my dishes.

This wouldn't be that much of a problem but they are noisy and they actually got into my flour and into my bread cabinet, prompting me to keep my bread in the fridge knowing that they can't possibly get in there.

Anyway, my cat isn't really of much help here since the mice hide between the cupboards and the stove and it simply is too narrow for him to get to them.

So today I went out and bought myself a couple of THESE

Which is an easier to set kind of mouse trap but none the less lethal to a mouse. Know your enemy and know yourself, so "the art of war" book says and I saw those mice walk a certain rout every single night so I knew that if I placed one of those traps in that particular rout I'd certainly get to them. I put some peanut butter inside the jaws and placed them in the spots where I knew they always go to.

Just ten minutes ago I suddenly heard a loud *SNAP* and some squeaking in panic, when walking over I found that me having placed the mousetraps in their usual rout was the winning formula: I caught a really fat one.

What to do with a mouse after you capture one? In my own case because I feel that killing animals is a sin I'd normally would release them outside the building but in the case of this mouse that would mean he'd die painfully from the injuries sustained by the mousetrap. So instead I decided to give him a sailor's grave and opened the trap above the toilet and flushed it.

So I'm feeling pretty stoked now, I'm winning my apartment back.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: Me versus the Mice in my appartment.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 02:58:49 PM »
" I hates meeses to pieces!"

Mice are bad but just be glad it ain't rats! Had some of those in my last house.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 03:05:04 PM »
I prefer sticky traps myself.  I bait them with peanut butter and within a day or so - depending on how many you have running around - I get one.  Usually stuck snout first. I put them in a plastic bag, tie it up and throw it in the trash.  If they survive and free themselves in the garbage truck, it is the work of the gods.

The only problem I had ever was I put one in the garage, as I knew that is how they were getting in, and I caught myself a bat.  Those bastards are scary on a primitive instinct level, and make a God-awful hissing sound when they know they are doomed.  Dang, their little white fangs creep me out.  One time one got nailed by the garage door closing ( timing ) and I had to act fast to dispatch him to the underworld.  I grabbed the old trusty Sherwood, and Wayne Cashman-ed the f@cker in no time flat.  I prefer to deal with field mice.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »
"Wayne Cashman-ed..."

A new verb!

nofi

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »
' i grabbed the trusty old sherwood ,' you killed a bat with your stereo  ;)  my grand daughter has pet mice and they are cute as hell as well as pretty smart and industrious.

personally i don't feel i have the right to kill anything, pest or not. i can usually catch whatever i'm after and release it outside.

blazer maybe if you were a better house keeper your little friends would stay away.  :mrgreen:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 05:41:43 PM »
Sorry chaps, rodent friendly here...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:30:45 PM »
I actually have a Sherwood receiver.  Never thought of that, but I wouldn't hit a bat with a stereo.  I have no problem with aversions to killing rodents.  To each his own.  I just acknowledge that all inside rodents were outside rodents.  And I don't want them coming back in.  They are great for the local hawks to munch on, but I don't want those fine birds to ingest any sticky trap stuff.  So away with the lower mammals.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 07:13:50 PM »
+1 on the housekeeping - give them nothing to eat and they'll go elswhere.

As far as mouse traps - try this:

http://www.ratzapper.com/

People have a hell of a problem down here with rats getting into their attics.  I heard about this on a home improvement show on the local radio and recomended it to several freinds and clients.  I got phone calls the next day after they set them up - dead rats immediatly and until ther're all gone.  It is a very simple solution - closed tube with some dry dog food at the sealed end and a very high current, low voltage, grid the little bastards have to step on to get to the food - ZZZZZZZTTT!  Works every time.

I've seen knock offs in HD & Lowes for about $20 bucks as well - same concept - fried rodent! :mrgreen:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:42:15 PM »
Of my 34 years electrical engineering, 21 years of working on catering equipment taught me all I EVER would want to know about where critters (2, 4 6 or more legs) get to, or how many times I extracted them from burn-outs... sheeeesh...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 08:43:24 AM »
I always liked sherwood sticks

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
As per your earlier thread Blazer:

Thats not Mice!

This is Mice

Digresion our specialty!

Blazer

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 08:05:28 PM »
It seems that my traps have paid off, when I got home, I saw that another mouse has fallen victim to that particular trap I put in their usual route. After I disposed of that mouse through the flushing method I haven't seen or heard any rodent activity in my kitchen anymore, I guess I got them all.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 04:36:42 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »
This is what I recommend:

Snake/alligator encounters can sometimes end tragic though - for both:

That is one of the most amazing pictures I've seen in a while.!  How I would have liked to been there for the confrontation. From a distance, of course. 8)

My shop has had a lot of mice this winter because they tore down the office building next door, a McDonald's training center.  It's nothing like when they tore down the Restaurant in front of the office.  There were obese mice running wild through our entire store...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
Whenever a constricting snake eats something really large, it risks its life. That's when the coundown starts whether it will be able to digest it quickly enough before decomposition takes over. As snakes can take weeks to digest something really large, decomposition sometimes wins, gases can blow it up, liquids can poison it. That might have happened here, the alligator might haven proven too large, decayed and blown the snake apart. The decay in the alligators body might have even led it to force apart its hindlegs with the claws, thus tearing the snake apart. Or it might have actually happened in life and death battle though the alligator should have been dead by the snake's muscle force alone by the time it was this deep down. In any case, I don't think either of them enjoyed the process.

Uwe   
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...