Author Topic: Haven't done squat!  (Read 2015 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Haven't done squat!
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:36:02 AM »
Well, I haven't been in my shop for at least 3 weeks and have had trouble keeping up here as well.  My son graduated from college and got a job, so we've been focused on that!  He's moving out for good on Thursday, so I hope to get back to the shop over the weekend.  I've missed the shop but have spent a lot of time with him and it's been a great way to start the new year.  He's a lot of fun to be around and he'll only be 8 hours away by car, so that's good!

When I get back to the shop, I'll be working on the Hofner President and the Billy Bo for sure.  Also my 60's EB-2.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Haven't done squat!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:47:25 AM »
Never a rush on your own projects... all the best for your son...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 08:21:07 AM »
Never a rush on your own projects... all the best for your son...

That's for sure Kenny.  Precisely why I don't want to do builds or repairs for other people.  I just can't count on my schedule permitting me enough time for that.

Thanks for the kind words, the kid's gonna do fine, just like his sister.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:17:16 AM »
Bill, great to hear - my first daughter graduates this spring, and hopefully will find a position in Denver an hour away.  I want to spend every minute with her that I can this spring. 

The shop can wait - the son (and you) can't.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 11:24:09 AM »
Bill, Congratulations ! One step closer to retirement !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 12:26:02 PM »
Bill, great to hear - my first daughter graduates this spring, and hopefully will find a position in Denver an hour away.  I want to spend every minute with her that I can this spring. 

The shop can wait - the son (and you) can't.

Amen Al.  We have so much fun when he and his sister are home.  They are always the priority when they are in the house!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »
Isn't it a b***h when they do exactly what they're supposed to do and become more independent?

It's their job, and the better they are at it, the more it tugs at the heartstrings of mom & dad as the kids need them less and less.

But I admire ours for the way they're doing it.  They're spending time with us as well as doing what they need to do.  Good kids, and I'm glad they're both going to college in the same town where we live.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 05:40:36 AM »

Damn right Scott!  2 years and 11 months.....and counting  (1 year and 11 months if things go better than I have planned)!  ;D

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 05:50:04 AM »
Isn't it a b***h when they do exactly what they're supposed to do and become more independent?

It's their job, and the better they are at it, the more it tugs at the heartstrings of mom & dad as the kids need them less and less.

But I admire ours for the way they're doing it.  They're spending time with us as well as doing what they need to do.  Good kids, and I'm glad they're both going to college in the same town where we live.

Right on Al.  We raised them to be very independent and self sufficient, but still attached to us and each other in a close emotional way.  It's worked out wonderfully and they are great kids and adults.  They wanted to go away for school to explore and Penn State was great for our daughter and Clemson was perfect for my son.  

We would have liked them closer, but wanted to give them their wings.  You are blessed to have them nearby.  As a military brat, I never wanted to live at home, I always wanted to travel and explore, so I guess they come by it naturally!  You can't underestimate a good education.  Natalie does sales and marketing for a huge food company, Cargill, in St. Louis.  Ben will be an engineer at Norfolk Naval Shipyard.  Their college programs prepared them well for their chosen paths.  I hope your kids do as well or better!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 07:40:37 AM by drbassman »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 06:31:59 AM »
Damn right Scott!  2 years and 11 months.....and counting  (1 year and 11 months if things go better than I have planned)!  ;D
Yeah Baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 07:42:37 AM »

I turn 60 this summer, so I'm at least 5 years out.  If I'm enjoying what I do, I won't be in a hurry to quit. However, given the screwy management structure we have in place at our division in the university, at present I'd retire next week if I could.  I expect it to change within a year, though.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 08:06:47 AM »
I turn 60 this summer, so I'm at least 5 years out.  If I'm enjoying what I do, I won't be in a hurry to quit. However, given the screwy management structure we have in place at our division in the university, at present I'd retire next week if I could.  I expect it to change within a year, though.

Hey, me too Al (I turned 60 last month).  I thought about staying beyond 3 years if there was turnover in the executive administration.  It's abysmal!  In the end, I'm really anxious to be out of here and working for my favorite boss...me!  It'll be full time guitar building and repair from that point on.  At this stage, I think that will be more rewarding and fun!   ;D