Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Jeff Berlin on TB today......

<< < (2/6) > >>

Nocturnal:
I've never heard anyone tell a first hand story about dealing with the guy. I have read quite a few columns written by him along with several interviews. He always left me with the impression that he was a first class jerk that pretty much hated everyone that he didn't feel viewed musical ability/knowledge the same way that he did. Hopefully for him he has mellowed out a bit.

gweimer:
I think I'm in a small camp of people that appreciate his candor more than his playing.  He's probably done anything we've ever dreamed of, but I put him in the "he's great but not my cup of tea" category.  He didn't remember his old TB forum, but I do.  He gave me some excellent advice on my playing technique back then.  You can find my posting at about 11:00 yesterday.

Blazer:

For the ones who don't know what Berlin is all about.

Dave W:
Jeff Berlin is a fusion player.  :bored:  No offense to fusion fans, but does a smaller market than fusion even exist? Even Tuvan throat singers and Moldovan folk singers are probably more popular. That takes nothing away from his talent, but it does explain why a lot of people haven't heard of him and some of those who have heard of him don't care.

--- Quote ---I've never heard anyone tell a first hand story about dealing with the guy.
--- End quote ---

I have. Andy McRory (longtime moderator at FDP) attended one of his week long sessions some years ago and said he was very nice and very helpful, not at all like his old online personality would lead you to think.

I used to read some of his BP columns back in the 90s. I agreed with some of his views. What got me was that he came across like somebody had anointed him everybody's Bass Education Czar. That did turn some people off.

Nocturnal:
I agree with you Dave. Some of his columns had some excellent advice. But sometimes he just came across as an ass. At times it was more how he said something, not what he said. He did seem like a self appointed BASSGOD. I have nothing against his playing abilities tho.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version