Author Topic: Ok, ok, it's somwhere between cheesy and naively charming ...  (Read 680 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Ok, ok, it's somwhere between cheesy and naively charming ...
« on: January 18, 2022, 03:09:38 PM »
Pärentäl advize: ströng Tshörmenn äccents (in LA or anywhere else for that matter) and förced rhymes ("scream for me screamer, I'm a rock believer")

Even in 2022, our Klaus still heärs zem, zöse steäm röck feverin' screäming röck belieffers all the vvväy bäck fröm 1977 ...

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 07:04:19 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Ok, ok, it's somwhere between cheesy and naively charming ...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 11:07:44 PM »
This guy literally goes all over the place making videos from the concerts he attends.  He must be on the road almost all the time doing this.  So many bands.  He just posted this one a few hours ago.  I had thought the Scorpions weren't touring, so this was unexpected.  However, although most of his videos are recent, this one is from 2016. 

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 11:19:57 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 06:53:09 AM »
Lov'em or leav'em, they have a very recognizable sound.

When there's no pandemic holding them back, the Scorps practically tour all the time, it has become a way of life for them. Germany's "worldwidest" live act, with more international, faithful markets than even Rammstein. They are still a reliable draw.

I saw them for the first time in January 1977, exactly 45 years ago, in an old school gym before a couple of hundred of people. Still with Uli (Jon) Roth (who was a mesmerizing lead guitarist and no doubt their star) and Francis Buchholz playing a natural Ripper - Virgin Killer tour. At that time they were perceived as, finally, a German band that could perhaps hold its ground with UK B league hard rock acts (such as UFO or Nazareth) and gain some national and neighboring countries recognition (the Scorpions were initially more popular in France, Belgium and Luxembourg than in their home country). That they would become a half-a-century-lasting international act was pretty much unthinkable at that point. All their sometimes apparent cringeworthiness aside, I respect them for that type of longevity. Kind of Germany's Golden Earring though die Niederländer had/have more brains (and were more variable) while the guys from Hannover stuck more to a template and hence had more mass appeal even outside classic rock and metal circles (plus a huge and extremely devoted Eastern European market). Their many ballads have done them no commercial disfavors. And Klaus Meine's trademark Tshörmenn äkzent has held up sehr fine, jawohl:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 07:36:42 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 08:31:03 AM »
The video of "No One Like You" because very popular on MTV in the 1980s.  On the plus side side, it seemed to be one of those videos you never really got tired of no matter how many times you saw it.  At least from my perspective that's the way it seemed.  I just saw an article that said many young people of today are fascinated by the 80s.  I suppose that shouldn't be surprising.  Culture was offbeat, often illogical and unpredictable. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 08:31:32 AM »
Like many, I LOVE the Ulrich Roth era, and the first few with Matthias. But by Love at First Sting, they had become so formulaic, I slipped away. Never saw them live unfortunately. I stupidly blew off going to a show at the Aragon in Chicago when Michael was with them for the Lovedrive tour.  :-\

This new stuff is pretty good. They've reached a point that many heritage acts reach where they are re-learning how to be what they were during their heyday. I would guess they had outside help, which seems to be common with those types of bands. Rush and Kansas come to mind.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 11:55:12 AM »

A band I'm very happy to say I saw back in 1985 (Ratt opened) they were quite polished and played very well. Lovedrive's "Sunday Morning" was my intro to them, they were a band 
I liked a lot through Savage Amusement. I liked quite a few of their covers that they did a few years back too - I'll never outgrow them! 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 01:34:41 PM »
Like many, I LOVE the Ulrich Roth era, and the first few with Matthias. But by Love at First Sting, they had become so formulaic, I slipped away. Never saw them live unfortunately. I stupidly blew off going to a show at the Aragon in Chicago when Michael was with them for the Lovedrive tour.  :-\

I saw them with that line up too - you didn't miss much let me tell you, the gig I witnessed wouldn't have been much different if they had just played with Rudolf and no lead guitarist. Michael is a man who is awkward easily and he felt hugely awkward upon his return to the Scorpions - sibling love/rivalry can only get you that far. He was clearly uncomfortable playing anything from the Roth era and was even subdued beyond recognition on the Lovedrive stuff he co-wrote. With the Scorpions the guitar roles are very much set, Rudolf plays the riffs and the more demanding and signature rhythm guitar parts (+ the occasional solo), Roth (or Jabs) play embellishments, very rudimentary chugging 2nd rhythm guitar parts (to the 1st rhythm guitar) and of course the majority of the solos. Michael obviously didn't like to be relegated to a 2nd rhythm guitar role (Jabs doesn't mind that and Roth saw it as freedom) when he wasn't soloing; both with UFO and MSG he was/is the primary rhythm player (plus all the solos of course), with a second guitarist backing up his parts (when required, otherwise that second guitarist plays keyboards) - Michael is sort of Rudolf and himself in one when he plays with UFO or MSG (and he had a track record with UFO not to want his guitar playing compromised by either a full-fledged second guitarist or a constant keyboarder getting in the way, hence the double role of Paul Raymond in UFO). Plus Schenker plays entirely on feel - and if that isn't right he just freezes. He was ill at ease throughout the gig and clearly unhappy. Much as I like(d) his style with UFO or MSG, the music of the Scorpions had by then developed away from him and he couldn't pick up the thread. They did right in finally settling on Matthias Jabs who'll never be an Uli Roth or a Michael Schenker in terms of inspiration (he's technically fine of course, but always a bit workmanlike), but he's a perfect Ronnie Wood (as compared to Mick Taylor) to the Scorpions. In essence (and ever since the departure of Roth), the Scorpions are the duo of Klaus and Rudolf (+ three others helping them convey the music they create as a duo).

If you liked Roth in his Scorpions era, you should certainly dig this here (featuring as a bonus accent-less English, but still the mostly nonsensical Klaus Meine and Rudolf Schenker original cliched lyrics):

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 04:35:57 PM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 07:53:42 AM »
I never would have thought it would be anything but great, but that all makes a lot of sense. Michael is definitely Michael. He's an eccentric character. The late, great Paul Raymond was a godsend for ze junger Schenker. And yes, Jabs is a utilitarian lead guitarist who is perfect for the job.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 09:55:56 AM »
PS: It's nice to see that Mikkey Dee - always a very likable guy - has found a new home after the demise of Motörhead. With ze Scorps, he's in a financially safe harbor until he lays those drum sticks to rest.

Did I mention that the man has an exquisite musical taste, citing Ian Paice as his major influence?

Cutest SOTW cover ever! "Smoooooke on the waaaaater - they're flying in the sky ..." - just lovely.  :mrgreen: :-*

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 10:02:57 PM »
My first Scorpions show was pre Blackout, but not by much. Then almost every time they came near Los Angeles until (i think) 1999. Those earlier shows were incredible for their great sound/playing, and Klaus' insane energy. For such a little guy he got around those stages with a wild abandon most other front men in that era couldn't touch. That alone made up for the cheesy stage banter and lyrics (though I also grew tired of the formula by LAFS). I like that new song though. For some reason, I can forgive that cheesy level of sentimentality from Klaus. I wasn't too sure who was who in those childhood photos, except for Mikkey. Hell, except for the hair, he hasn't changed at all!   

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 07:26:32 AM »
But nothing has changed with the hair either, it just got grey like yours!  :mrgreen:

And mine.   :rimshot:

I think the kids are:

Rudolf (with little brother Michael all blond in the background) at 0:33
Klaus on the early post-war motorbike at 0:35
Matthias (unmistakably, that frown!) at 0:39
Mikkey at 0:42
Pawel (Maciwoda, the Polish "baby" in the band, born 1967) at 0:46.

You can tell that the last two kiddie pics (Mikkey & Pawel) stem from the early 70ies and not from the early 50ies (Rudolf & Klaus) and early 60ies (Matthias).

And yes, that twee sentimentality (a leftover from German romanticism?) is a - in Germany often ridiculed - trademark of ze Scorps.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 09:10:24 AM »
Mikkey is great. I became a fan when he was still with King Diamond. Awesome drummer. Saw him live on the Them tour. I'm happy he's found so much success over the years.