Poll

Now, why don't you like it?

Nothing good ever came after the bar bridge, intonation is for girls!
2 (2.7%)
Chrome yes, but a three point?
13 (17.6%)
I don't like it because it is short scale. That said, had it been long scale I wouldn't have liked it either for lack of historical accuracy. I like to be difficult.
10 (13.5%)
Everything in the old days was better.
9 (12.2%)
Gibson shouldn't be making basses, full stop.
3 (4.1%)
I'm with Uwe, won't change the world, but nice try and a cute bow to the past.
26 (35.1%)
This color totally rawks, way to go dude!!!
7 (9.5%)
Pelham what?
4 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!  (Read 33423 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bash the new Gibson Bass!!!
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2011, 05:43:52 PM »

And I'd agree..............Last time the big F brought out a new body shape was???????

Katana!

OK, maybe it was the Performer.

:rolleyes:

Chaser001

« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »
Katana!

OK, maybe it was the Performer.

:rolleyes:

The Katana looks like something from a Jetson's episode.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:32:40 PM by Chaser001 »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
No further comment:

And I even liked that shape and thought it daring and new. The Fender world did not, however.

You should:

Too bad the Performers sound like crap.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
I do have somewhat of a fondness for short scales and have sometimes felt a little out of place because of that.  But it's not like I have to have a short scale.  What I've discovered is that there are more people than I realized who are very devoted to short scales and it seems to mean a great deal to them.  There was a time when I was more devoted to them, but not so much anymore, so my views on the topic are ambivalent. 

I have nothing against short scale basses. They do have a devoted following. Just don't be misled by their frequent mention on bass forums. The real world is often very different from the world of bass forums. Short scale basses have only a very small market share.

Likewise with 5- and 6-string basses and flatwound strings. They have their market shares, they're just nowhere near as big as you might think from reading bass forums over the years.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
Why doesn't the Volvo comparison fit? Like a bass it is a combination of tool and enjoyment. I drive a car to get from A to B, but I chose the 300 hp version because I enjoy the fun of good torque and the strongest hifi they offer because I like to listen music loud. I play bass because I need to emit low notes, but I could do that with any decent bass, I chose Gibson because they appeal to my underdog taste and have such variety. Yes, the bass is even more for fun, but in reality I wouldn't even need a car to go to work as public transportation would take me to Frankfurt within an unbeatable nine minutes. So the Volvo is sheer luxury.

The Bicentennials were just as far or possibly even more a step from the 60ies Birds than the 87 reissues were from the Bicentennials. A Slothead EB-0 is structurally and visually farther removed from a 63 EB-0 than an SG RI is. Changes in the past are all accepted here as symbols of an era, but if Gibson brings out a Junior today it has to look exactly like a 61 model. That is - with all due respect, my dear brethren -incoherent as it presupposes that changes today are bad, but changes back in the day weren't. Explain the difference to me or is nostalgia your one and only argument?  

Your comparison isn't making sense to me. We expect cars to change styling. The guitar market isn't that way. You can update a lot of features without changing the body shape. The SG RI Bass is a case in point. The slotheads were an evolutionary change, and they at least kept the same body shape. Yet they failed too!

But my main point is: You could have played that new Junior on the Woodstock stage and no one would have pointed his finger at you and yelled "Oooops, non-period-correct bass, you must be from the future, off the stage with you!".

They wouldn't have said that because they wouldn't have identified it as a new version of the Junior-shaped EB-0. With the odd styling and the non EB-0 color they would have though it was a Japanese copy.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2011, 11:41:07 PM »
Women must feel like that when their husbands want to avoud a sensible discussion, sigh!

The Woodstock masses, connaisseurs of obscure early sixties Gibson basses and prophets of the Japanese instrument invasion.  I really should have known, silly me!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2011, 02:27:59 AM »
I have nothing against short scale basses. They do have a devoted following. Just don't be misled by their frequent mention on bass forums. The real world is often very different from the world of bass forums. Short scale basses have only a very small market share.

Likewise with 5- and 6-string basses and flatwound strings. They have their market shares, they're just nowhere near as big as you might think from reading bass forums over the years.

Agree. World must be a harsh place for a 6-string shorty strung with flats! :D
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2011, 03:59:04 AM »
I like the shape of the body way more than the original, and I like the shape of the Money bass too. The LP Junior bass is really just another version of the SG Standard bass, with a different body and a different color.

If it were long scale with one or two chrome Thunderbird pickups, with Thunderbird (or Money) spacing, I would find it difficult to resist.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2011, 06:38:39 AM »
I didn't mean that I thought Gibson's effort in this new bass is unworthy - just overpriced. 

The LP Junior bass is really just another version of the SG Standard bass, with a different body and a different color.

Not unworthy, I agree, but it lacks imagination .... indeed just another version of the SG ...... and it could have looked less cheap-ass if they only put a PG on her ......
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2011, 07:10:06 AM »

again, makes a huge difference. Same body, just in the details.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2011, 07:16:35 AM »
Women must feel like that when their husbands want to avoud a sensible discussion, sigh!

The Woodstock masses, connaisseurs of obscure early sixties Gibson basses and prophets of the Japanese instrument invasion.  I really should have known, silly me!

You said no one, not everyone.  :rolleyes:   The masses don't even know a guitar from a bass, and the drugged Woodstock masses probably knew even less than most.  But people who know guitars (in any crowd) aren't going to mistake this bass for a vintage Gibson.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2011, 07:26:28 AM »

again, makes a huge difference. Same body, just in the details.

With an extra control pot to put her into the turbo mode ?  :mrgreen: But seriously, I'd probably would've pre-ordered that version. I love P-90s and 1 PUP makes it a true Jr......  ;D
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »
You should:

Too bad the Performers sound like crap.

Well, it did look kind of familiar ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2011, 09:33:47 AM »
With an extra control pot to put her into the turbo mode ?  :mrgreen: But seriously, I'd probably would've pre-ordered that version. I love P-90s and 1 PUP makes it a true Jr......  ;D

Even with a black (gulp) TB soapbar it would have been cool. So close. Well, when they on discount one could always mod theirs.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2011, 10:27:03 AM »

If recent issue is a guideline I'd figure production at 400 pieces, as Dave says it's not gonna change the world, so limited production.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...