Author Topic: Custom builders - a lifetimes work - how much can a luthier build...?  (Read 2305 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Custom builders - a lifetimes work - how much can a luthier build...?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »
I presume Darrin Huff is an exception to the rule, whatever the circumstances...

Sadly, there are too many to call it an exception. In the years I've been a member of the Tele Forum (TDPRI) I've seen a number of custom builders come and go under similar conditions, usually taking customers' deposits when they go. They get hyped by a few members, they often become members and at least pretend to be one of the guys, then they stop responding. Caveat emptor.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 07:40:21 AM »
Class action lawsuit may not get you anywhere but criminal charges tend to get the person's attention.

Thats why is finally he is delivering basses now. One of the guys threaten criminal action and he got his bass. When I placed my order he was a regular at the pit, seemed like a nice guy, built a bass for Mike Watt, worked under Carl Thompson. Watt knows him & told me what a great guy he was. He used to stay at his place when he toured that area.
Nobody knew what was really going on.

When I placed my order, Huff told me I took someone's spot who backed out (lucky him) and I had a 6 month wait. Nothing but lie after lie, excuse after excuse, after that.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 07:59:29 AM »
huff's website says he is not taking new orders but selling only completed items. he is also working to win back his reputation as a 'world class builder of affordable basses'. ish.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 11:02:29 AM »
So, from what you've told me so far, without threat of litigation...

Times are tough...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

tonebender

• View Profile
    • Tonebender Guitars and Basses
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 06:05:16 PM »
In my case isn't "how many can I build" as much as "how many can I stand to build for other people who want an instrument with 4 batteries, 14 switches, 3 pickups, and a tremolo on a body shaped like a woman's breast".

I stopped taking orders for "the custom you design" as it was sucking the life force out of me. I now build what I like, when I like and sell it after that. The basic design has minor options. I have limited my audience with this and so far it's been a good thing. Thinned out the martians.

I'm fortunate to have a good day-job and do this for fun and make some money on the side. I've kept my biz in the black for 9 years this way and still enjoy it immensely. I could probably stand to make 6-8 a year and keep the fun factor in it.

Most builders have repair work to suppliment their custom stuff. I have a large number of local collectors and eBay addicts that keep me busy with wierd stuff. Even there I end up turning down some of the pain-in-the-a$$ stuff to keep my sanity.