Author Topic: Hi-Flyer Project!  (Read 16689 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Hi-Flyer Project!
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2008, 03:22:13 PM »
You're right, the Japanese brands weren't highly regarded back in the 60's and 70's.

Thanks for the thread link - the EEB he played in one linked post sounded pretty darn good to me. 

Now I have to decide between Gold Top and ReRanch Orange........

Two choices you can't go wrong with!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »
Go for the gold (top).  8)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2008, 06:47:26 PM »
OK, pickups are here - and I'm sure they were direct from the Eastwood Company. That means the Ebay seller Yarddoggolfer is one of the guys at Eastwood.

The pickups came with a small Eastwood catalog enclosed in the box:

And they clearly are made for the Hi-Flyer:

These are the style of pickup that mounts to the trim ring, rather than to the body of the bass. In the last photo you can see that the pickup is recessed below the trim ring because it's not mounted.

This is definitely getting more interesting!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »
Excellent. If I'm seeing things right, looks like you won't have to rout.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2008, 08:31:19 AM »
That's right!  These pickups are an absolute drop-in, and at first glance it appears that even the screw holes on the trim rings line up with the original screw holes.  Evidently Eastwood REALLY stayed with the original Hi-Flyer dimensions and layout.  I thought that the trim rings would overlap the pickguard and would have to be trimmed subtly, but now I'm not sure even that will be necessary.  I may have really come out well on this.  I do note that the trim rings sit about 1/4" above the body, and the pickup will have to be that high to be level with the rings.  I haven't mounted the neck and strung it yet (thought I'd refin first), so I'm not sure what the pickup-to-string distance will be, but that's not likely to be a problem.  I have a Shopsmith with a big rotary sanding wheel, so if I needed to reduce the pickup height, I could sand the trim rings from the bottom and reduce their height.

Thanks for the Shopsmith, Dad! http://www.shopsmith.com/  (He bought his at Carr Hardware in Ames Iowa in 1954 and it's still running strong....and you can still buy any part you need for it.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2008, 11:22:36 AM »
If those are plastic rings, I sure wouldn't sand them with the power on.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 11:23:19 AM »
Well, yes, you make a good point.

"Meltiness" is bad for trim rings.  I suppose I COULD use something other than the Tim Taylor "more power" approach if needed.

grumble grumble...ruin alla my fun...... :P

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »
You can still use the Shopsmith, just rub the rings against the sanding disc while it's stationary. If anybody asks what speed you used, just tell 'em you can't remember exactly but it was at the lower end of the variable speed dial.  ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
True!

But in the absence of "more power", I think I'd use another approach which worked really well when making an ABG saddle - glue sandpaper with grit upwards on a slab of marble, and rub the material back and forth across it.  Provides a nice stable surface and unlike the Shopsmith, I wouldn't have to hold the drum still.

And I'd have one hand free for beer.  Very important for philosophical and lubrication reasons.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2008, 08:03:53 AM »
Ohhhhhhhhh, beer and sanders....I could tell you some stories about that.  Let me show the scar on top of my left hand.... ;D

MattK

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2008, 09:42:08 AM »
OK, pickups are here - and I'm sure they were direct from the Eastwood Company. That means the Ebay seller Yarddoggolfer is one of the guys at Eastwood.

That's Mike Robinson. He started Eastwood Guitars. His website is http://www.myrareguitars.com/.
Nice guy. I've dealt with him a few times.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2008, 04:32:01 AM »
 That looks super, I want a Hiflyer sooooooooooooooo bad !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2008, 07:38:34 AM »
Me too!!! 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »
That's Mike Robinson. He started Eastwood Guitars. His website is http://www.myrareguitars.com/.
Nice guy. I've dealt with him a few times.

YES! That was the name on the shipping label. All I can figure is that they end up with some extra pickups and other parts at times - and I'm expecting pretty good things from those pickups.  I'm still impressed with what a great deal he gave me.

I agree with you guys - I have had a jones for a Hi-Flyer for a couple of years, and I just didn't feel like passing this one up.  My first complete rebuild project took a year, but this time I'm (a) more experienced, (b) smarter about what NOT to get into, and (c) more hyper about getting it done.

And I think I'm ordering some gold top paint today.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »

And I think I'm ordering some gold top paint today.

Just do it!