Author Topic: Moderately priced custom work in NYC?  (Read 1585 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Moderately priced custom work in NYC?
« on: July 06, 2014, 09:58:26 PM »
Hey all,

I've had an idea for a frankenstein bass brewing for pretty much forever. Most of it can be made with off the shelf parts, except I want a custom body shape that I'd design. It's sort of a hybrid of my favorite elements of the Jaguar, NR thunderbird, and Scroll bass.

I'd love to find somebody local to work with on this, but I haven't the foggiest idea where to start. Anybody have any suggestions? That won't cost an arm and a leg?
Feel free to PM me or reply here.  Thanks!

- Paul
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Moderately priced custom work in NYC?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 01:22:47 AM »
Custom builders are out there, but seldom cheap.  Many of the builders I know will charge much more for something totally different from what they build on a regular basis.  Also finishing is more costly than you'd imagine.  Are you looking for someone to make the body and you then assemble or do you want them to do the entire project?  Either way, I doubt you'll find someone who is both good and moderately priced.  Good luck!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:00:26 AM »
This guy was recommended to me by Rick Turner when I was looking into getting my Model 1 restored.

http://flipscipio.com/about_A.html

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
Tough to find, the guys who assemble at a reasonable price from off-the-shelf parts are usually not going to be willing to do custom designed bodies.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:40:16 PM »
This guy was recommended to me by Rick Turner when I was looking into getting my Model 1 restored.

http://flipscipio.com/about_A.html

Thanks saltymonkey.  Flip got back to me quickly - he's too busy bidding whole instruments.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:43:15 PM »
Custom builders are out there, but seldom cheap.  Many of the builders I know will charge much more for something totally different from what they build on a regular basis.  Also finishing is more costly than you'd imagine.  Are you looking for someone to make the body and you then assemble or do you want them to do the entire project?  Either way, I doubt you'll find someone who is both good and moderately priced.  Good luck!

I was thinking I'd assemble, but I'm not married to that idea. Will first have to see if I can even find anybody ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:25:53 AM »
USA Custom Guitars will build you one off body but as far as I can tell it's around $700.
http://www.usacustomguitars.com/

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:36 PM »
Thanks Carlo.

I also checked with Michael Dolan, who seems to be in about the same price range, maybe a tad less currently.
Still mulling it over.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 01:10:36 PM »
Although I've never used him, I've heard good reports about Kevin Peel at One Eyed Jack Guitars in Kentucky. Mostly just makes bodies, apparently very reasonable prices, and will make one to your design.

Any one-off body is going to cost you more, though. Even if you have it completely designed and drawn out, it will take more time to make than a stock body that the builder has templates for and a set routine to build.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »
Thanks, I'll check him out too.

Yeah, I know it'll cost more... but I've had this idea for a long time and I want to realize it.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
That was a good tip, Dave....  Kevin replied quickly and does indeed charge less than the other guys I've seen.  He does pickguards too.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »
Good to know. Keep us posted, whoever you decide to go with. I hope you can get what you want at a price you can afford.