Author Topic: Dyed maple?  (Read 1453 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Dyed maple?
« on: November 04, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
I like bright-sounding fretboards like Ebony and Maple.  I don't much care for the look of maple boards, though.

Now, I'm not fully up on the story with availability / ethics of using ebony, and don't really want to start a thread about that; but I had a random idea that I wanted to explore:  Is it possible to dye maple to look like a really dark wood?

... without it looking like crap? :)

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Dyed maple?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 11:12:02 AM »
Sure. Violin (/cello /upright bass) makers have done it for ages with low-end instruments, for the fingerboard they use "ebonized" maple.

Rickenbacker did enameled freboards on their 4003SPC models - Blackstar, Tuxedo and Redneck, matching the color of the body (black, white or red). Traditionally Rics have bubinga (african rosewood) fretboards, but rosewood is open-pore and for the enameled boards they needed close-pore wood, so they used maple.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »
Thanks Ilan for satisfying my curiosity.  Whether I will ever get to use this information is another matter... but hey, thinking about basses keeps me sane at work!
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 11:32:42 AM »
It can be hard to make it really black might look up ebonizing to get some ideas.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 02:54:53 PM »
old banjos that were relatively inexpensive often used dyed pearwood for fingerboards and peghead overlays...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 07:05:48 PM »
I would start here: http://www.homesteadfinishingproducts.com/htdocs/TransTint.htm

Transtint makes liquid dyes that you can mix with water or alcohol, the latter preferred in your application I would think, that can be applied as strongly as desired.  I've used their powdered dyes in the past with great results.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »
I have used both black & blue(blue not on fret board) to dye wood in the bat with good results.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »
I've used black and green and they are both really consistant.  I used them on curly maple which is sometimes easier to color as little variances don't matter as much.

This is worth a watch or two and James is a bassplayer.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Materials/MaterialsArticle.aspx?id=30136

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »
Transtint are metal acid dyes and should work well on maple.

IMHO nothing wrong with flat black paint either, depending on the look you're after.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:41:16 AM »

This is worth a watch or two and James is a bassplayer.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/Materials/MaterialsArticle.aspx?id=30136
[/quote]

I saw this vid a couple years back. Awesome results>
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 08:58:46 AM »
black leather dye (the alcohol based stuff) is relatively cheap and works well, especially with a lacquer topcoat.