Author Topic: Tacoma guitars and basses.  (Read 842 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Tacoma guitars and basses.
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:04:15 AM »
does anyone know if tacoma is still making new instruments after being taken over by fender?
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Tacoma guitars and basses.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
I doubt it. They had put out next to nothing for about a year before Fender bought them, and Fender only bought them because they needed capacity and skilled workers to make higher end Guild acoustics.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 05:42:34 AM »
That's a damn shame :sad:. Tacoma made one fine ABG.
Rick

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 06:58:32 AM »
 the tacoma thunderchief may be argueably the best abg around, taylor and other big buck custom items not withstanding. however, i never see them being played in a live situation. it certainly isn't a matter of tone but probably of cosmtic beauty. they are rather plain but that is the appeal for me. you are more apt to see a glossy, curly top something that is more eye catching. but i digress....

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »
The tone and volume of my Earthwood are nicer than the Tacoma , but Tacoma has got it all over the Earthwood in playability and the volume and tone aren't really that far away either.
Rick

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »
you and your earthwood... ;D you do know how lucky you are. :sad:

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 09:00:46 AM »
Tacoma was never accepted by acoustic guitar buyers. Their sound wasn't well liked. That's about all there is to it. The brand's goose was already cooked by the time Young Chang sold it to local owners who didn't have the money to make a go of it. Even if they had, chances weren't good in the long run. If you're going to stake your reputation on a soundhole and bracing that's different from everything else on the market, you'd better be able to convince buyers that it sounds better. They couldn't.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 05:39:27 AM »
you and your earthwood... ;D you do know how lucky you are. :sad:

I've got to take the SOB in and get some work done on it. Seems to have developed a rattle inside. I can't wait to see the bill for this :o
 Back to the Tacoma/ Olympia thing..... I've never heard their guitars but their ABGs are absolutely top of the heap. I am so disappointed when I go in a music store and pick up just about any other brand of ABG. There are only a couple others out there that I would be willing to buy. If I had no experiece with ABGs and I went out shopping for one today , it would be a quest that I would probably lose intrest in very quickly. I really don't like much of the stuff that's out there currently and I think I would give up the idea altogether. I understand why there are so few ABG lovers , there simply ain't a whole lot to fall in love with , and that's a shame.
I love my Earthwood and I love my Olympia ;D. Playing ABG has done more to improve my playing than anything else I've done in 40 some years.
Rick