Author Topic: Met John Densmore tonight  (Read 605 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Met John Densmore tonight
« on: September 15, 2014, 07:31:53 PM »
It was a very short exchange but he was in town promoting his new book, signing it and albums. I had him sign my copy of "Waiting For The Sun", the first Doors album I ever bought.

He seemed like a really nice, down-to-earth guy. The fellow in front of me was named Denny, so when I got up there I said, "To make it more or less confusing, my name's Denis." He said "Nice to meet you" and then laughed and asked "Denis with ONE "n", huh?"
Got a couple of photos and then we shook hands and I wished him safe travels.

I'm glad I went out to meet him. It's always cool to meet famous people you know little about on a personal level and find they are pretty cool after all.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: Met John Densmore tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 04:35:03 AM »
That's very cool, Denis - where was he at?

Did you play at all during the SPARKcon Festival this past weekend?
I didn't play, but I donated the drums for the East Stage and set-up/tore-down the kit & mics for each band on Sat/Sun.
Met some really cool local bands and got to sit and listen to some great music for two days. 
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:10:12 AM »
He stopped at Schoolkids Records in Mission Valley. There was quite a line, including a number of pretty young adults and kids. I was pleased to see them and that they knew who he was.

Didn't even go to Sparkcon. Any standout bands for you?
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:35:32 AM »
Glad to hear that there are newer generations of The Doors fans - my oldest son (who's been writing songs for a few years now) became a fan a few years back.  There are some interesting lyrics sheets...

As for SPARKcon:
There was a really good mix of bands and age groups - mostly rock, but a few metal and fusion bands.

My 3 favorites (and none of these are my kids' band) were Phononova, Squatch and Pivot.
Phononova was a 3-piece that brought a really solid rock 'n roll groove. I could've listened to them all day.
Squatch was actually born of the 2112 Rock School when they were just kids - they hung together and really gel nicely on stage.
Pivot is super solid and they ended the show on Sunday.  Nicest drummer of the bunch - and there were lots of nice guys in the bands.

There were a few moments - most notable was related to a term I use called "wireless wankery" and it involved (unfortunately) a bassist, neon  and a wet stage.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:09:28 PM by ack1961 »
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:27:15 AM »
Always liked his drumming. And his stance that there can be no real Doors without Jim Morrison (a view I share, Morrison wasn't the greatest rock vocalist on earth, but as an artistic component of the Doors he was irreplaceable) commands respect. Kind of John Deacon'ish with Freddie Mercury. Queen sound like a tribute with another singer too and they didn't even have the millstone of their lead vocalist being the dark spokesman of a generation/movement.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 04:02:51 PM »
His drumming is great - you're lucky you've met him.  Our Doors tribute show would not be half the quality it is without a very good drummer - we're lucky that we have an excellent guy on sticks too.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive