Author Topic: midnight special  (Read 3411 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: midnight special
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 02:57:46 PM »
I like this clip of Miles Away.  McVie was honking away pretty good there on the Tele...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 03:05:10 PM »
Much under-rated lineup...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »
I really liked the Mystery To Me LP.  Looks like McVie put a Gibson Mini 'bucker in the traditional spot just below the standard Tele Mudbucker.  Very cool clip. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 12:36:27 AM »
Somebody will now certainly mention Welch's shortlived supergroup Paris, right?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:37:20 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 12:11:12 PM »
Kiss had some great live performances on the Midnight Special.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 01:52:30 PM »
i would not call paris a supergroup. more like a minor league class c team. i guess the potential was the there but in the end it always comes down to writing. paris could not deliver the goods in that department. imo of course.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 03:17:07 PM »
In rockstar guitarist terms the most gentle thing you can say about Bob Welch was that he was akward.

Lindsay Buckingham - yup, not Peter Green - is in my ears the most proficient, startingly original and musically rounded guitar player the Fleets let ever handle the wood. The man is hugely underrated. Nobody, absolutely nobody plays like him. 

Hornisse

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 03:20:05 PM »
I've got the 2 Paris LP's as well as all of Welch's solo stuff.  He played bass on French Kiss and is a pretty decent player.

Warning: Cheesy 70's video.  :mrgreen:

Hornisse

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »

Caution:  Cheesy 60's video.  8)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 03:46:46 PM »

I saw Bob Welch up in Vancouver B.C., he opened for Heart - was a good show! I always liked the bass playing on "French Kiss" alot too, I don't know who his bassist was that day but distinctly recall that he played a Ricky that looked like my 4001 except that it had only a single bridge pickup. He had great tone!   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 03:53:42 PM »
Personally, I like the transition line-up from Kiln House and Bare Trees.  This is probably my favorite song, and I know of a few of my old Chicago bar days groups that are doing it.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 01:15:26 AM »
Lindsay Buckingham - yup, not Peter Green - is in my ears the most proficient, startingly original and musically rounded guitar player the Fleets let ever handle the wood. The man is hugely underrated. Nobody, absolutely nobody plays like him. 

I've got a few of his solo outings which, to my ears are completely unlistenable because of his guitar technique. If I dare to sit one out I'm a nervous wreck in serious need of a dose of downers. But I'm a Green fan of course ......  :mrgreen:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 01:56:25 AM »
Really? He's no shredder though. Like Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler he plays totally without a pick, but has a more folk-oriented fingerpicking style which lets him do things ither people with a conventional trchnique just can't. But he's no show-off athlete though his guitar lines (even on the commercial Fleetwood stuff) are often quite busy. But not in a self-serving way. To me he sounds like someone who has his own little tecxhnique world and doesn't give a damn how and what other guitarists play.

Peter Green is one of the great British blues lead guitarist, but doesn't have Buckingham's dexterity in chordal structures and rhythm playing. That said, they are both a little mad!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 03:47:32 AM »
My main interest in music is in the songs and how to get the emotions behind the song across. To my ears Buckingham f*cks up any emotion other than unrest & paranoia in his songs with his ever present guitar, so his being technically exceptional as a guitarist works against him as a total performer. It's like he needs to take the advise I once read on the very last page of a pedal-steel instruction book which said: "OK, so now you can play. Congrats but now comes the real hard part: Learning not to play !"  

I do love his playing on the Buckingham / Nicks album and Fleetwood Mac's FM & Rumours albums though............  ;D

Now to get back OT: Watch Brecker's modded P !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDRd0Z0O4o&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:02:40 AM by Droombolus »
Experience is the ultimate teacher

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 06:45:38 AM »
RITY is a great tune but watching Steely Dan is like watching paint dry. At least Baxter is standing up.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird