Author Topic: Yer Fav Blues ~ Willie Dixon  (Read 9241 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Yer Fav Blues ~ Willie Dixon
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 04:04:38 PM »
No one does it better than Johnny Winters for me. My favorite slide player

I like Gary Moore as well

Rory Gallagher

Roy Buchanan

I love that list John with the exception of Gary Moore. He has awesome chops but for me there is just something missing. I have listened long and hard and seen him live twice (once I nearly fell asleep). I cant put my finger on it but its like he doesn't mean it somehow. As it happens I've been driving around listening to the album he did with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker over the last few days.

The best I can do to explain it is to listen to Roy Buchannans version of Messiah and then listen to Moores. Asamazing as his chops are he seems toplay over things and feeltoo mechanical, not enough feel....or something.
Digresion our specialty!

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 05:52:22 PM »
Hey Bassvarken - if you're diggin' on Phillip Sayce, check out Eric Gales, in particular his self-titled debut album. Bloody fantastic stuff, very much in the same vein as Sayce but a little more Hendrix-y.

www.myspace.com/ericgales
http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Gales-Band/dp/B000002H93

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 03:09:31 AM »
Of course I know Eric Gales.  8)
He was quite a sensation way back in 1991.
I have two albums; the first one (with "sign of the storm") an the second one (picture of a thousand faces) with the excelent Beatles cover "I want you".

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 05:34:59 AM »

I love that list John with the exception of Gary Moore. He has awesome chops but for me there is just something missing. I have listened long and hard and seen him live twice (once I nearly fell asleep). I cant put my finger on it but its like he doesn't mean it somehow. As it happens I've been driving around listening to the album he did with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker over the last few days.

The best I can do to explain it is to listen to Roy Buchannans version of Messiah and then listen to Moores. Asamazing as his chops are he seems toplay over things and feeltoo mechanical, not enough feel....or something.

I do tend to agree with you about Moore, but I have been a fan since his Coliseum II & Thin Lizzy days. He has an amazing tone & vibrato, his singing is tolerable to me.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 07:56:21 AM »
Moore's tone is always a little too (in)tense for me, it's like he tries too hard as opposed to not meaning it. I'm sure he's sincere in his love for the blues, but he lacks a certain looseness other Brit blues ROCK guitarists have for me like the already mentioned Rory Galllagher or the miraculously hitherto unmentioned Alvin Lee (there is more to him than just the cocaine fuelled hypher-charged Woodstock "I'm going home" performance). Rory was earthy, Alvin playful, Moore is just too concentrated, like Al di Meola doing a 12 bar.

General observation: US blues rock guitarists generally don't have an issue with sounding loose - you guys can do that well.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2009, 02:18:53 PM »
the miraculously hitherto unmentioned Alvin Lee (there is more to him than just the cocaine fuelled hypher-charged Woodstock "I'm going home" performance)
General observation: US blues rock guitarists generally don't have an issue with sounding loose - you guys can do that well.

Hey! Look again~ I hitherto mentioned Alvin Lee & Leo Lyons!! TYA!

Are you saying that us American Blues guys are Toulouse, Lautrec? :D Uwe:  ;D ;D ;D A très bon pun, cher Terry!
Gary Moore ROCKS on that vid of Red House! Wow
Johnny Winter WAS outstanding in his prime.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:29:07 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »
Some of my favorite bluesmen.

Mississippi Fred McDowell

Lightnin Hopkins

Bukka White

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
We need some Allman Bros. vids featuring Duane & Berry on this thread:

Don't Keep Me Wondrin':
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP_QJJwYsEU&feature=related

Dreams:

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (Duane & Berry):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22MRGWnPPIU&feature=related

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2009, 02:33:41 AM »
Freddie King was the first Axman to play at the Glendale Civic Auditorium.
He announced that between songs & he said it was the first time he ever played for young people.
I was one of those younguns---ol' Terr was only 15. It was 1968. The mayor's son who went by Prince (way before the Purple Rain guy) had a band called Bad Luck & Trouble who played the Blues, & his specialty was Elvin Bishop songs--Sweet Potato & Drunk Again.

Here's Freddie on tv doin' a 2 & a half minute Hideaway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbqtnNorgQA&feature=related

Now Heeeere's Johnny! (just for Barkless) doin' an almost 9 minute version of Hideaway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PTTsoQ5NHY&feature=related

Double Bass Drummers were mighty rare back then!!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 05:30:13 AM »
Thanks for that clip. I saw Johnny Winter about 5 or more years ago at a little bar. Only about 40 people showed up. The band had to almost carry him up on stage, guided by a laser pointer for Johnny. They sat him on a stool and had to put the guitars on him. He could barely sing he was so messed up. This was with his old manager who kept him drugged.

Funny part was he could still play his arse off. Just amazing guitarist even in that condition.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2009, 05:33:01 AM »
Damm Right I got the blues!

Mr Buddy Guy

Still the master and such a biting tone - no mistaking Buddy Guys sound

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2009, 06:07:13 AM »
Another one of my favorites is Jon Amor.

His first solo album -after The Hoax split- is a classic (at least in my point of view it is)
It combines vintagy Texas blues with modern ingredients such as looping and sampling.
It appeared to be too renewing for the ultra conservative blues audience.

Here he is with that excellent band The Hoax

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2009, 07:19:17 AM »

I played with him about two years ago and I agree - he rips it up. I much prefer his stuff on his own to when he was with The Hoax. Man, you and I sure have similar tastes, Rob!

"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2009, 11:53:12 AM »
Wow that's cool Luve2fli!

What about Scott McKeon?
Another fine young British Blues Boy!

Of course there the obvious Hoax/Amor connection with Jessy Davey being the producer of his debut album and Amor drummer Wayne Proctor behind the kit.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 12:29:54 PM »
So...Willie Dixon is surely the King of the ol' Black Bassmen Bluesmen Singer/Songwriter Band Leaders.
He may be the winner by default. Are there any others?

I reckon Jack Bruce is the King of the Rockin' White Bassmen Bluesmen Singer/Songwriter Band Leaders.
Some may say he wasn't the leader, but if you look at CREAM as a competition (there's that word again) then you can see that Jack was in the LEAD & therefore the leader with the most Singer/Songwriter credits.
Some will say CREAM is more of a ROCK band than a Blues band...but no one can deny the predominance of  Blues in their catalog & the fact that their best moments were their Blues JAMS--most notably Wilie Dixon's Spoonful & their wonderful rendition of Howling Wolf's Sitting On Top of the World!!

Gotta LOVE the Deep Down in the Depths BASS on the LIVE version from Goodbye:

...& Jack's great vocal!

James Dewar is an amazing Bassman Bluesman Singer too:

Did he write too? Gotta learn all about him. He fokken ROCKED!!!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 12:33:10 PM by Rhythm N. Bliss »