Author Topic: Manly men play manly music  (Read 1827 times)

nofi

Manly men play manly music
« on: October 23, 2009, 05:20:53 PM »
something a bit different from CLUTCH.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
Re: Manly men play manly music
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 05:58:54 PM »
When you said something different I thought you meant something different than manly men play manly music, but that isn't what you meant al all is it?

I like it BTW.

nofi

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:13:23 PM »
i did indeed mean manly men.  ;D the something different part meant something other than their usual stuff. ;)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 12:08:53 AM »
What a great friggin' song! Makes me want to go out and punch someone!  :mrgreen: I was looking at some other videos of theirs and Dan Maines, their bassist, seems to dig Gibsons. He'd fit in great here, I'm sure.  ;)

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 04:35:28 AM »
I'm not familiar with Clutch, so I don't know what's normal for them but I like it ;D. Sounds like some blues based guys going with straight ahead rock and roll and lightin' it up pretty damn well. I'm with OldManC, let's kick some ass 8)
Rick

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 05:18:21 AM »
That song has been really popular around here for about a year.  When it first hit TouchTunes in the local bars, it was titled "One Eye Dollar".  From what I've learned, Clutch is one of those bands that's been building a reputation over the years.  They're more of a metal band, but they do a great blues vibe on this song.  I'd do it in a heartbeat, and Dan Maines gets a lot of support over on TB.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 02:20:11 PM »
Awesome harp work too...  8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 03:09:44 PM »
Awesome harp work too...  8)

The harp and the vocal are the pieces that hit me the hardest 8)
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 05:55:16 PM »
DAMN! That really rocks! I LIKE it!

I haven't heard of the band Clutch before, but this is great work.  Fantastic harmonica, solid bottom end, and  - oh, joy! - a B3 with a Leslie speaker!

If these guys did a CD with this kind of music, I'd buy it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 07:08:07 PM »
wow,that nothing like what remember Clutch sounding like. they were like Helmet with more groove. meaning all their songs consisted of one riff played over and over and over......etc.i saw them play once in the 90's. they were pretty good. this is better.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 06:52:26 AM »
Been a huge Clutch fan for years...their sound has changed a bit over the years (which is great), and they've always delivered. If you have a chance to see them live, do it - intense show. Their drummer, JP Gaster, is amazing and has a groove that won't quit. Dan Maines (bassist) has the best job in music.

Their past two albums (Beale Street and Strange Cousins) are mainly blues-based rock, and their earlier stuff (Transnational, Clutch, Elephant Riders, Pitchfork) was really intense.  The stuff in-between (Slow Hole to China, Robot Hive, Pure Rock Fury, Blast Tyrant, Jam Room,  etc.) is just some of the greatest music you've never heard.  Get the lyrics sheet, and an encyclopedia - Neil Fallon writes some killer stuff.

Good clean fun.  enjoy.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.