Author Topic: Lefty Gibsons in Europe?  (Read 1929 times)

bastom

• View Profile
    • BASTOM
Lefty Gibsons in Europe?
« on: December 16, 2013, 01:17:36 AM »
Hi,
As promised my first question in the gibby forums!

I recently started a band where i switched my bass for guitar and the current bassplayer allways looked up to my Thunderbird and my RD..
He currently plays an old squier and is on the look out for a new bass. He asked me to help him, cause he really like the Thunderbirds...
Unfortantly for him.. he's a left hand player! I been searching on all the major online stores - it's allready a wonder they are selling righthanded.. but lefty's? Haven't found any. Are they even being made new? Or are they all custom orders or rebuilds? Do i have to watch all the evilbays to find one?
Playing on a Gibson Thunderbird, Gibson RD Artist, Fender P through an Ampeg SVT Classic + Ampeg 810E. On the testing bench: Sunn Beta Bass just in.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Lefty Gibsons in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 03:45:42 AM »
Last I heard, Gibson had a few lefties in their catalog, at least the SG bass, not sure about the TBird ... I'm sure you have to order them and they are probably made in batches whenever there are enough orders ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:20:32 AM »
You can order one here, no stock, but maybe they'll chase one for you.

http://www.musik-produktiv.co.uk/gibson-thunderbird-iv-eb-10066908.html?gclid=CM797MqDtbsCFZGWtAodSXgAZw
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »
How about the Bach? Are they made as leftis?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
BaCH did make a limited series of lefthanded Non Reverse Thunderbirds and Fenderbirds, yes.

And they still have a few of these available. In fact, they are offering them for next to nothing at the moment...

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:16:22 PM »
Gibson is making lefty basses in 2014 again, including the Thunderbird in natural finish (which I want).

bastom

• View Profile
    • BASTOM
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 04:56:30 AM »
Gibson is making lefty basses in 2014 again, including the Thunderbird in natural finish (which I want).

Wow - that is exciting news! Has this been confirmed? I know Gibson doesn't put all of its models on its website - but they must make announcements for these right?
Playing on a Gibson Thunderbird, Gibson RD Artist, Fender P through an Ampeg SVT Classic + Ampeg 810E. On the testing bench: Sunn Beta Bass just in.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »
Wow - that is exciting news! Has this been confirmed? I know Gibson doesn't put all of its models on its website - but they must make announcements for these right?

Not necessarily. Gibson sometimes does whole model runs of basses without ever announcing it, sometimes they just appear at certain online stores.

Andrew runs the leftybassist.com forum, if he says they're making lefty Gibsons, I'll bet he can give you more info.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »
Not necessarily. Gibson sometimes does whole model runs of basses without ever announcing it, sometimes they just appear at certain online stores.

They're not alone.  Gretsch models sometimes show up the same way...like the orange 5123's a couple of years ago.

It's not like they want to advertise them and actually sell some, is it??
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 01:42:05 AM »
It's bad enough that these people are challenged the way they are, let's not celebrate the fact, but hush it up a little, ok?! :mrgreen:

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 09:06:50 PM »

Yes, it's been confirmed. Gibson sent out info on what lefty models are being made for 2014. The Thunderbird, EB, and new styled Midtown are among them. Gibson's prices are going up in 2014 too, so be ready to pay more for a lefty Thunderbird I'm sorry to say. 

I don't think they'll make much if any announcement about them, they didn't last time. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 06:04:30 AM »
Wood ecologist Henry J. ïnitiates the lefty-care program, now that IS reason to celebrate!