Author Topic: new GK day for me too!  (Read 11307 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: new GK day for me too!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 06:52:02 PM »
200W into a decently tuned 12" enclosure can generate a lot of sound.  Everyone is surprised by my Genz-Benz Shuttle head on their 12" combo cabinet...there's no reason the G-K can't be impressive!

Sweetwater's website shows that G-K total combo weight at 28 pounds, which is wonderful!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 10:39:42 PM »
Me too! Harry brought his by my shop in San Francisco last month and we plugged in my Epiphone JC Prototype and my Celinder fretless and whoa and behold real nice all around response, lows, mids and highs. The natural tones of the instruments were all there. Also put a double bass through it. Hey GK is onto something with this series. There is no tweeter which is fine with me. GK is coming out soon with  external powered speakers for this series. My daughter borrowed it for a perfomance (trio) in a 500 seat (well yeah the audtorium was state of the art) and played both electric and double bass with no need for miking. I'm surprised and happy. Thanks for the heds up Harry.

Good to hear a report and glad you are happy with it!

Sweetwater's website shows that G-K total combo weight at 28 pounds, which is wonderful!

The light weight is definitely a plus!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »
I tried out one of these MB112s at Sam Ash when I went to check out the G-3. It's small but has a really nice sound. It was really impressive!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 11:52:17 PM »
I tried out one of these MB112s at Sam Ash when I went to check out the G-3. It's small but has a really nice sound. It was really impressive!
I still like mine - have used it at one rehearsal and one jam session, both times it sounded nice. Neither situation was very loud at all, so still haven't tried to crank it, but both times (relatively quiet) drums were involved. Never needed to turn the volume up past 9:00 or so. I've only used it with my Duck Dunn Signature and the M-85 fretless - both strung with flats - the Dunn sounds a bit middy to me, not sure if it's the bass or the amp. But cutting the hi-mids gave a nice deep sound.

EDIT: And I forgot to mention that I bet the G-3 sounded sweet through it! Did you use any other amps to test it besides the GK?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 09:51:38 AM by hieronymous »

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 11:42:16 AM »
Just wanted to give a quick update - used the GK at a rehearsal in a big hall - only had it on about 4 and it was plenty loud enough. The first couple of times I played with these guys I was (pleasantly) surprised by how quiet they play, but this last time we started cranking it up a bit more.

Haven't managed to pull a decent room recording but just picked up a Zoom H2n for capturing the room sound and have rehearsal this coming Saturday night...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »
i found most cabs i have tried with tweeters mostly emphasised string noise like little fart enhancers.could just be my sausage fingers though.
Louder bass!.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 05:41:38 AM »
i found most cabs i have tried with tweeters mostly emphasised string noise like little fart enhancers.could just be my sausage fingers though.

It took me a little while to get used to the tweeter thing. If you only run the volume through the tweeter at 1/4 to 1/3 it sounds right and you won't blow your tweeter or crossover. With the newer neo speakers they actually are a nice thing.  Just takes a little tweeking and a lottle getting used to :).
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 09:35:05 AM »
On my Genz-Benz Shuttle cabs I run the tweeter at about 25%.  That suits my ears.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:06:29 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 11:27:21 AM »
Mine doesn't have the tweeter, so not an issue.  ;D

My Epifani does though - depending on the bass and music, I either turn it off or set it around 20%.

Unfortunately, rehearsal was canceled - drummer strained his shoulder  :o  I hope it's just a minor injury!

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 01:29:12 PM »
I placed my order yesterday for a new G-K MB410 Series-II Combo and cover weighing in at 51 pounds. If it meets my expectations, i'll quickly add a MBP410 Series-II Powered cabinet to it.
That will give me a very flexible rig for both small, mid and large size gigs.
This is my first G-K amp. Hope it lives up to the hype.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 10:34:32 PM »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 05:51:59 AM »
I placed my order yesterday for a new G-K MB410 Series-II Combo and cover weighing in at 51 pounds. If it meets my expectations, i'll quickly add a MBP410 Series-II Powered cabinet to it.
That will give me a very flexible rig for both small, mid and large size gigs.
This is my first G-K amp. Hope it lives up to the hype.

TD

I don't want to rain on anyones parade.   I've always been a fan of GK stuff and even have a GK Backline I use at at buddys house when I jam there.
I was really looking forward to their lightweight MB series, but when I finally got my hands on one , I was very underwhelmed. The price was nice and the weight was great , but the sound just wasn't there for me. It came off as thin and anemic :sad:. I didn't feel it was up to GK standards. It led my to the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 which proved to be a love at first sight thing.
Rick

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 06:10:41 AM »
I was very underwhelmed. The price was nice and the weight was great , but the sound just wasn't there for me. It came off as thin and anemic. Rick

My son has a MB115 Series-1 (original style) and it's quite impressive for what it is. But should the new MB410 Series-II Combo end up being as you've described, it will go back for a full refund and i'll have to find something else as its replacement. I'm just not going to move my 810 and 300 watt tube head around anymore. Those days are gone.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 06:59:53 AM »
I hear you loud and clear on moving the heavy artillery ;D. My Genz Benz head weighs in at under 4lbs with 600watts and a single preamp tube. I use an Avatar 2 12" and tweeter cab that I think is under 50lbs and it sounds real strong. I never tried the MB115 but I've heard good things, I did try the 2 10" and 2 12" models , and they just plain didn't do it for me.
Rick

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
I finally got my MB410-II Combo. Took four and a half months to arrive and then the DI was f'd. The ground wire had come disconnected during shipping. Anyway that was quickly fixed and I'm finally getting an opportunity to see what this puppy is capable of. I plugged my iPod Touch and a set of headphones into the amp and got great tone for jamming along with mp3's or just practicing.

The edges of the cabinet seems quite fragile. It's dings up very easily exposing white primer underneath. Mine came back from the repair shop with two dings on it in the front, so they knocked off $85.00 and apologized. A cover is definitely in order.

I was planning on buying the MBP410-II powered cabinet to pair up with my MB410-II, but I'm thinking that I'll hold off on that until the fall, but I'll only do that if the MB410-II meets my expectations first.

TD  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:04:59 PM by Thornton Davis »