Author Topic: warning: bogus/potentially harmful responses from CL ad  (Read 1393 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
warning: bogus/potentially harmful responses from CL ad
« on: January 14, 2011, 04:25:20 AM »
All,

I'm have my Dano '63 RI bass on CL locally, and I received the very strange email reply (below) along with a link (which I did not copy).

You really have to be careful, because the email appears in my Inbox as a reply to my CL ad (with the ad title in the subject of the reply email) along with the active link in the body of the text. The text never mentions the bass, so you know it's a canned, auto-generated email reply. You don't want to inadvertently click the link (or hit "Enter" while you're in the body of the email). Who knows what happens next - probably ain't good.

I just wanted to pass it along for the folks that use Craigslist to sell stuff locally.  Predators are everywhere.

Here's the bogus text:

Is your item still avaliable? And can I ask you a random question? Are you single or married? To be honest your listing caught my attention and I would like to ask you out for drinks. I can sense that you're in a rough times and I'm here to listen. Well, this is not my email but if you're interested, I have pictures of me along with my cell number on my profile. My username is "CupidLover" on there, it doesn't cost a penny to signup. Hopefully you're curious of who I am and don't be shy. I think you'll be amazed...
===========================================================

These people need a hobby.
Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: warning: bogus/potentially harmful responses from CL ad
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:11:30 AM »
Though I've bought TONS of stuff on Craigslist I absolutely hate selling on it. The morons and scammers really shine through when you have something to sell.

Here are a couple offers I've received:
"Will you trade your '07 Telecaster (which was perfect, by the way) for an older Dell laptop with Windows 98 'freshly installed'?"
"Will you trade your KTM 420 for a motorcycle trailer?" Said trailer had two flat tires, a bashed fender and no operating running lights.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 06:35:16 AM »
Though I've bought TONS of stuff on Craigslist I absolutely hate selling on it. The morons and scammers really shine through when you have something to sell.

Here are a couple offers I've received:
"Will you trade your '07 Telecaster (which was perfect, by the way) for an older Dell laptop with Windows 98 'freshly installed'?"
"Will you trade your KTM 420 for a motorcycle trailer?" Said trailer had two flat tires, a bashed fender and no operating running lights.

A KTM 420!! that's an old classic - what year was it?
Surprised you didn't jump on that trailer deal....some people are just nuts.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 07:20:18 AM »
Here's a pic. If I remember correctly it was an '85 model. It was one of one or two years with a front disk brake, making it ineligible for vintage dirtbike racing. I got it home, got it running and realized I'd die if I rode it. That sucker was SCARY strong!

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:24:25 AM »
Here's a pic. If I remember correctly it was an '85 model. It was one of one or two years with a front disk brake, making it ineligible for vintage dirtbike racing. I got it home, got it running and realized I'd die if I rode it. That sucker was SCARY strong!

Very nice...quite the monster for sure!

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:07:14 AM »
Well, obviously if you're selling something on CL, you MUST have fallen on rough times, no?!?

:mrgreen:

....... Idiots
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 08:17:57 AM »
Did you list it under the "casual encounters" section?   ;D

I have a ton of stuff piling up that I need to sell on CL (stuff too awkward to ebay and ship, or believe me I would try...).  Putting it off as long as I can- haven't mustered up the emotional strength to deal with the inevitable yahoos just yet....

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 08:25:57 AM »
Well, obviously if you're selling something on CL, you MUST have fallen on rough times, no?!?

Apparently, so. (and I thought I was doing so well)

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »
I have some stuff that I have been trying to sell on craigslist for a while now, and it seems like you can't even give used bass gear away.

I am so tired of the e-mails that come from these people.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 09:58:26 AM »
Did you list it under the "casual encounters" section?   ;D

I have a ton of stuff piling up that I need to sell on CL (stuff too awkward to ebay and ship, or believe me I would try...).  Putting it off as long as I can- haven't mustered up the emotional strength to deal with the inevitable yahoos just yet....

same with me.  i have a bunch of heavy bulky stuff i am going to sell and thought CL would get me local and able to pick folk.   Oh joy!!
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
same with me.  i have a bunch of heavy bulky stuff i am going to sell and thought CL would get me local and able to pick it up  folk.   Oh joy!!
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM