Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

1966 EBSF-1250 Double neck with Fuzz

<< < (2/3) > >>

Alanko:

--- Quote from: uwe on February 27, 2024, 08:42:12 AM ---"Wow! $50,000 with a non functioning FuzzTone circuit!"

Those things are hell to repair, really tricky and you don't get the electronic parts anymore.

--- End quote ---

Damn. I assumed it would be six components and a battery. Presumably some obsolete transistors are involved?

D.M.N.:

--- Quote from: Alanko on February 27, 2024, 11:50:02 AM ---Damn. I assumed it would be six components and a battery. Presumably some obsolete transistors are involved?

--- End quote ---

It is a simple circuit, less than 20 components including the pots, values and transistor types varying by version (FZ-1, FZ-1A, etc, FZ-1S being quite different). The original transistor type can still be bought, though they are obsolete, and newer ones might not sound quite like the old ones, but you can still build the circuit very cheaply and use other transistors with similar specs. That said, having not seen the layout inside the control cavity, no idea how easy or difficult it would be to work on the original circuit.

uwe:
There is also continuous drain on the battery, so even if you don't use the fuzz, the batteries give up after a few months. Very steampunk.

D.M.N.:

--- Quote from: uwe on February 27, 2024, 05:01:58 PM ---There is also continuous drain on the battery, so even if you don't use the fuzz, the batteries give up after a few months. Very steampunk.

--- End quote ---

True! I suppose you could rig up a battery disconnect using a stereo jack on the instrument or potentiometer with an off click. And it takes AA! So that's fun and goofy.

Grog:
No matter how well the circuit works, it still sounds like an “Electric Fart”! It would be nice if you could use the FuzzTone on both the bass & the guitar………

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version