Author Topic: what model is this?  (Read 2209 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: what model is this?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 07:23:39 PM »
Nah it's not a Japanese made bass, "Epiphone by Gibson" guitars and basses were made in Korea.
huh, i didn't know of Korean made Epi's before the 90's being an 80's bass i just assumed......(and you know what happens when you assume)
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 09:44:34 PM »
I do remember Aabe's a bit.  They used to sell beater guitars, and they also used to run a booking agency upstairs for wedding bands.  Then they went over to St Paul on University and I think they dried up around ten years ago.  I don't remember what they were busted doing on TV though. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 11:25:44 PM »
I do remember Aabe's a bit.  They used to sell beater guitars, and they also used to run a booking agency upstairs for wedding bands.  Then they went over to St Paul on University and I think they dried up around ten years ago.  I don't remember what they were busted doing on TV though. 

There had been rumors about him for years. Then an I-Team operative left a guitar on consignment at an agreed-on price, and the agreement also called for payment within a week after it sold. Another operative came in and bought it at the full asking price. He never notified the "seller" until she came in about 3 weeks later (with hidden camera) and inquired. He told her that it had sold for much less. After that story was aired, the city yanked his pawn shop license.

He already had the store in St. Paul by then. Couple years later he sold it to his manager. I was told that the reason he sold it was because an angry customer came in and beat him up.

Besides his pawn and used guitar business, he had Gibson and Fernandes but not Fender. If someone asked about new Fenders, he would actually tell them that Fernandes came first and that Leo Fender copied their designs from the late 1940s. Anything to try to make that sale.

I never bought anything there besides strings and accessories. He was always pleasant to me.

barend

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 02:09:31 AM »
Recently though, the epis feel like quality as soon as you pick them up, every so now and then you can tell a good instrument by just picking it up. And the recent Epi's all felt like quality gear when I picked one up. The Quality control DEFINATELY has taken a turn for the better in recent years and I applaud that.

I have to agree with this. Every recent Epi I have played was very good value for the money.

But this guitar wins the title 'ugliest headstock on a guitar ever'. It is so 80's glamrock.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »
The last time I went into Aabe's they had an ES-335 that had extra pickups and stuff, and was spray painted with flat black paint.  Real mess, but only $300.  So even for then that wasn't horrible for a real Gibson.  But most of their stuff was of that level.  Knutt Coupe or whatever it was had better stuff.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 02:25:24 PM »
I remember seeing an EB-0 there that was stripped, had an unrepaired neck break and had the serial number scratched off. It had a $400 price tag (this was about 15 years ago). I remember telling the salesman that at that price there must be $350 in bills stuffed in the control cavity.  :mrgreen: