Author Topic: Ignorant Newbie Question  (Read 3554 times)

Happy Face

• View Profile
Re: Ignorant Newbie Question
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 05:21:23 PM »
"I think we need more info regarding what kind of sound/s you are going for. Do you need "modern" high end sizzle? Or are you looking for varieties of drive/clean?"

I "A/B" between "My Generation/Live at Leeds" and "Crossroads/I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better" kind of tones.  Now done by swapping between a roundwound equipped Rick (since I sold my last Steinie) and a Guild (with Darkstars or Bisonics) with flats.*

I'd like to be able to quickly dial in a similar big change in tone without changing basses or amp settings.

* (But even that's not optimal .... if stage space and roadies were plentiful, I'd use a separate amp for each bass. Or a rig with two preamps with a two channel power amp. But space is often tight and roadies scarce...)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 08:56:36 AM »
Many who wants to go active just needs to boost the pickups, but a boost pedal probably does the job - and then if you don't like it you can just trade it for another or something. I even once bought a pedal eq for a horrible bass. At least you don't make a mess in the control cavity.. Another idea is to bypass the controls (wire the pickup directly to the output jack) and work on the new onboard preamp
outside the cavity, if you are not allready experienced in this field.

Yeah +1; internal preamps have more compromises due to having to run of batteries as well as size limitations.  Direct to jack with a nicer external preamp will do the same thing (functionally), and there are far more tonal options.

Another (cheaper) option vs a preamp (internal or otherwise), playing off Amptech's  a boost + EQ pedals suggestion is to get the MXR 10 band EQ - it has a boost circuit as well as 10 bands of EQ - much more functionality and gain in hand than most internal preamps.  The KRK version (which I use) also has dual outputs if you need a line splitter for biamping or multiamp setups etc.  The 30 Hz band makes for a great rumble filter (indispensable between any unchoked Mudbucker and tube preamp section - saves sooooo much headroom).  I think this pedal could get you close to what you want.  Dial in your brighter Ric tone with the pedal disabled, and then set the EQ pedal to take the edge off the top end + maybe a low mid boost for the Guild tone. ... or vice versa - which ever works better.  Might also help to put flats or half/ground wounds on the Ric.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 01:48:35 PM »
Thanks GG. That's prolly the logical course. Almost like having two different pre-amps going.

I'll give it more thought.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 03:09:36 PM »
IMHO your best bet is to keep it simple, whether it's an onboard preamp or a pedal.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
One pup, one pot, job done... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »
If there is a point to be made for active basses then it is just that: being able to switch from one extreme sound to another. I'd add: retaining high-end sizzle without having to change strings every three hours. And the ability to compensate the sound of a so-so amp. Oh yeah, cutting through in the most difficult and adverserial circumstances, yet keeping the soundman happy.

None of the above compels me to play active, but I understand that someone else might be in a position where it makes sense.

Nothing ignorant about your question btw.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 07:06:33 PM »
I did it. I haven't yet figured out how to go from old flats thump to new rounds on a Ricky sizzle. That may be too much to ask.

But I'm getting a much wider and useful range of tones out of the Darkstar pickups. So worth the effort, money and time. 

georgestrings

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
If there is a point to be made for active basses then it is just that: being able to switch from one extreme sound to another. I'd add: retaining high-end sizzle without having to change strings every three hours. And the ability to compensate the sound of a so-so amp. Oh yeah, cutting through in the most difficult and adverserial circumstances, yet keeping the soundman happy.

None of the above compels me to play active, but I understand that someone else might be in a position where it makes sense.

Nothing ignorant about your question btw.

I typically play both 4 strings and 5 strings at nearly every gig - since I have a fair amount of passive 4 strings that I love, I usually EQ my amp for whichever of those I have that night, then dial in the 5er of choice with it's onboard EQ... That way, I can change up on the fly without adjusting anything - it also usually works out well for soundmen... Lastly, IME/IMO, *most* 5ers are better off as actives - just makes it easier to dial in that B string sound... I've played very few passive 5ers that I actually liked...

- georgestrings

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 07:54:40 AM »
Lastly, IME/IMO, *most* 5ers are better off as actives - just makes it easier to dial in that B string sound... I've played very few passive 5ers that I actually liked...

- georgestrings

Ya know, I've recently come to the same conclusion. During my "de-activate everything" phase a few years back, I removed the EMGs from my old Guild Pilot 5er and put some Duncans on there. It's a bit lackluster now and I kind of regret it. Having said that, I hardly ever touch it anyway and may sell the whole bass.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2014, 12:38:19 PM »
I typically use a Boss eq pedal with my sixer...it has a gain control and slider bars for tone.  It does fine for me.