Author Topic: The Highlander will of course know better but I learned something from it ...  (Read 3595 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2014/sep/17/scottish-referendum-explained-for-non-brits-video

Me? I'm essentially undecided, with a pro-Union slant. I like the Scots (and their political views), but I dread micro-state-ism, it's archaic. But since the English tend to be stuck up vis-à-vis their northern neighbors, there is a little devil in me holding for independence. Yet my brain says it's all wrong and how a Scotland-less United Kingdom would essentially consider itself even more what it has always considered itself since the US saved its ass in WW II: A 51st US State and an aircraft carrier of the US anchored in the North Atlantic rather than a European country. Without the Scots, the residual Brits will never realize that they are Europeans, I haven't given up hope for them yet.

Of course, the British "written constitution-less" system suffers for its lack of federalism. Federalism is awkward, hugely costly and often ineffective, waters down decisions and promotes compromise, both the US and Germany would know. It also prevents something like what's now happening in the UK. What federalism was granted to Scotland in the last decade or so might have not been too little, but it might have been too late.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:44:53 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

The 51st U.S. State is British Columbia, just fyi  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re today's vote, I saw this comment and it literally made me laugh out loud: Too wee, too poor, too stupid. And while I don't really think the Scots are those things, I think it's illustrative of poor decision making that may or may not have gone into this whole mess (thanks to Tony Blair) that 800,000 Scots won't even get a say as to whether they may wake up tomorrow as foreigners in their own (former if the yes vote prevails) nation.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:50:33 PM by OldManC »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
I just removed one comment that I found rather inappropriate (and racist even).

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Coming from who it came from, I believe that was irony, Rob!

Irony, how I hate it. Despicable.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
I was referring to this.
http://blog.godreports.com/2014/08/1400-children-raped-and-trafficked-in-british-town-by-men-of-pakistani-muslim-heritage/
I could have worded things in abetter way but basically I think an independent Scotland could choose to adopt laws allowing their citizens to protect themselves and their children from a similar tragedy.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Journalism in optima forma...  :sad:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
The history of nations is to unite and divide over and over.  China has had 5000 years of it.  The British empire has been contracting since at least the end of WWII, this is just the latest chapter.

If the vote is a 'yes' I imagine those with strong enough pro England feelings could emigrate if they tried hard enough.   I'd personally like to see the Scots make a go of it.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Well, an independent Scotland sure has a romantic sound to it.  I suspect that they get more financial support than they give to the Brits.  But, like Uwe, it does have a nice rebel tinge to it.  As for me, I want to split NY state in half:  from Albany east to NYC for one state, the rest of us west of Albany another.  That would be sooooo empowering!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
I heard today on NPR that Scotland is relatively wealthy - what with the north sea oil and the spirits it exports.

As far as splitting NY the Texas state constitution allows Texas to secede.  All the screaming about about the financial impact of Scotland breaking away imagine if Texas actually left the US - last I read Texas was the 7th largest economy in the world on it's own.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: The Highlander will of course know better but I learned something from it ...
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 10:01:13 AM »

The 51st U.S. State is British Columbia, just fyi  ;D

^ just wants it for the cash crop exports  :P
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: The Highlander will of course know better but I learned something from it ...
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 02:22:49 PM »
^ just wants it for the cash crop exports  :P

It's not us Washingtonians that want B.C. - other way around.  I'm good with it, B.C. is a lovely Province!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »
Gutted...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 04:34:59 PM »
Understanding why...

Mum and dad lie overlooking the sea in a graveyard that has been the final resting place of most of my family going back several generations... I know dad would have voted yes and I'm pretty certain so would mum...

The Scottish psyche is fractured by its roots... so much of the Hebrides is now changed from what it was and so many "white-settlers" are living there now, hence the 10.5K no plays 9k yes (circa 21k live there) but what of the history...

The Islanders only, finally, got the right of tenancy of their homes in 1912; prior to that they were treated like cattle... my mothers people were transported from the Atlantic west coast as an entire village, because they were good fishermen, and the owner of the Island, who was a Lord made his money from the opium trade... my family had no choice in the matter... my paternal side worked as "Tacksmen" for that Lord... in a modern vernacular I am descended from thugs that worked for a drugs-baron... fact.

The Gaelic language was banned in school... my dad was forced to learn English, "because it was the law" and post WW1 so many were dejected and still emigrated as it was the only chance they had at getting a decent life free from oppression and hunger... how many people in America/Canada/New Zealand/Australia have Scottish and Irish roots, all down the British (read English =  Westminster) Rule of Law, which still exists to this minute...

The Clearances... study that period, and, unfortunately, the Stewart side of my family has that "blood" on it's hands, and understand the value of sheep versus Highlander and the bloody removal of families for the aforementioned animal...

The Highlands... once covered in forest, now a barren land, cleared for the same woolie-jumper by the "Lairds" from the south...

The men that laid down their lives for generations and generations often returning home post fighting for their King, only to find there families moved-on...

Yes... gutted...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »
Oh yes, and Alex Salmond understood that Europe is the bigger picture...

It will not be many more generations before all that will be left of the British (read English) Empire, is their language...