Author Topic: Kiss goes to RRHOF...  (Read 3659 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Kiss goes to RRHOF...
« on: December 17, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
 :popcorn:
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Kiss goes to RRHOF...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 11:38:38 AM »
DICK DALE for the RRHOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 08:06:15 AM »
I have no issues with it. There are American hard rock bands more musically rewarding than Kiss - BÖC and even Grand Funk Railroad spring to mind -, but Stanley-Simmons Inc. are an American institution and deserve to be in the RRHoF for merely that. Plus for inventing rock merchandising as we know it today. They (plus Bob Ezrin) have also written the best song that starts with a car crash (The Shangrilas' Leader of the Pack only ended with one and, hey, it was only a motorcycle!).

Then again ... would you want to join a club where one of the jury members had the nerve to last year say about an here to be unnamed English band dear to my heart "they are a one-hit-wonder, they do not deserve to be in the RRHoF"? This about a band with album sales in excess of 100 million and whose alleged "wonder-hit" wasn't even initially released as a single, but only after American radio guys clamored for it (and then only in the US of A).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 08:40:52 AM »
Was never a Kiss fan

Even less of Nirvana

Don't want to start anything, but I personally find them both musically primitive and unrewarding. Not even fun for me. i bought Kiss's greatest hits years ago, and tried to like it....probably after hearing fans rave about them here...can't do it.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 09:03:06 AM »
The list of RRHOF injustices, oversights and questionable criteria for membership is as legendary as the bands they routinely ignore. Regardless of whether one enjoys the music, Kiss deserves to be there, and (begrudgingly) so does Nirvana. The impact of both bands cannot be denied.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »
KISS absolutely deserve to be in there. Nirvana... meh... Whatever. They served a purpose. YES and Deep Purple should have gotten in, but at the end of the day, who really gives a rats ass about the R&RHoF?  ???

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 09:30:37 AM »
All true. Nirvana have left an impact - whether you like them or not. And Kiss music is in so far an acquired taste as a lot of their stuff sounds a little clumsy, for an American band they have relatively little swing in their groove, there is that ham-fist effect and they always in the aftermath denounce those albums where they have not been quite as ham-fisted (Destroyer, Dynasty, The Elder, Crazy Nights).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »
At the end of the day, who really gives a rats ass about the R&RHoF?  ???

That sums it up nicely.

That being said, I'd like to see the original four play a few songs at the show. Early interviews (at least with Gene and Ace) sound somewhat positive. Peter could probably get through a few before being winded and Paul could probably get through them without losing his voice. I may be in the minority, but I still like the original four as a band. The merch and drama and all that other stuff is beside the point for me.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »
That being said, I'd like to see the original four play a few songs at the show.

Same here. While that would most probably happen, I have fears that the doppelgangers would somehow be stuffed in there, along with poor Bruce Kulick. Furthermore, would we also be subjected to the ubiquitous and unwelcome Paul Shaffer tickling the ivories on "Nothin' To Lose", or Springsteen joining them for "Rock and Roll All Nite"? I hope not. That's like peeing in the holy water.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
KISS absolutely deserve to be in there. Nirvana... meh... Whatever. They served a purpose. YES and Deep Purple should have gotten in, but at the end of the day, who really gives a rats ass about the R&RHoF?  ???

Agreed.  Any band that has had a decades long career and been popular should be there.  KISS earned the right to be there, if even only for their dedication to the business and their fan base.  My opinion of Nirvana is that they would still be a regional band in Seattle were it not for Butch Vig (and more specifically Steve Farmer who did a painstakingly brilliant job on the mix for Nevermind).  With early death came early reverence.  I'm not convinced he would be a legend now without the trauma of his personal life and early exit.

And, there are bands I love dearly, but doubt that they belong in the RRHOF.  I can think of some people behind the scenes that most people never heard of that should be considered - songwriter Diane Warren and guitarist Chris Spedding.

They should add an induction place for producers.   8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »
That's like peeing in the holy water.

My thoughts exactly.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 01:28:18 PM »
I would have voted for Yes and Deep Purple...all players that I respect as musicians.

Kiss and Nirvana...nope...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 01:31:44 PM »

Is there a doorknob around that I can back up into?

More fun than RRHOF  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »
Same here. While that would most probably happen, I have fears that the doppelgangers would somehow be stuffed in there, along with poor Bruce Kulick. Furthermore, would we also be subjected to the ubiquitous and unwelcome Paul Shaffer tickling the ivories on "Nothin' To Lose", or Springsteen joining them for "Rock and Roll All Nite"? I hope not. That's like peeing in the holy water.

Paul Shaffer and Bruce Springsteen... :bored:
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »

Is there a doorknob around that I can back up into?

Mark's posts are never a loss for imagery... ;D

More fun than RRHOF  ;)