Author Topic: 36 cheap American beers ranked  (Read 3626 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: 36 cheap American beers ranked
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2013, 09:13:08 AM »
According to this, Big Flats is brewed by Genesee.

According to this, the beer had "a skunk odor when opened." Sounds like what you would expect from a beer that sells for 50 cents a can at Walgreen's.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2013, 10:29:26 AM »

You drink any Big Flats beer up there in Rochester?  They sell it at Walgreens here in Austin, it's about 3 bucks for a sixer and tastes sorta like Busch.  It says on the can that it's brewed in Rochester, but I'd never seen or heard of it before and I lived in the NE the first 41 years of my life.

Shiner Bock, sir.  The national beer of Texas.  Eschew imitators!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2013, 04:27:02 PM »
According to this, Big Flats is brewed by Genesee.

According to this, the beer had "a skunk odor when opened." Sounds like what you would expect from a beer that sells for 50 cents a can at Walgreen's.

I'd say that's fairly accurate.  It's not good by any means, but I've had worse (like Meisterbrau).

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 04:28:43 PM »
Shiner Bock, sir.  The national beer of Texas.  Eschew imitators!

I drank Shiner for a little while when I first moved down to Texas, but I don't much care for it any more.  Besides, I thought Lone Star was the national beer of Texas.
 :-\

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »
Earlier this summer I went to the liquor store to get something cheap to cook bratwurst in. (Gotta boil them in beer and cut-up onions before grilling 'em, you know) I asked the store guy for something appropriate (and if I got Miller or Bud my Dad would come over and drink it all when I was at work  ;D  ) He went in the back and got me "Boxer Beer" which I had never heard of before, and was $4. For a CASE. He also cautioned me several times not to drink it!  :mrgreen: He said he got it for the summer music fests going on, because "Those damn kids'll drink ANYTHING, and I don't want to waste anything good on them."
My Dad did try it, and said, "Yep. Tastes like beer." Jeez, Dad, you lived in freakin' Germany for years, for god's sake, why do you drink this piss water? "It's just beer, son, you're not supposed to ENJOY it." He aslo said that all the guys he worked with in Germany drank Czech beer when they wanted "cheap stuff", and it was the best stuff he had over there. Of course you couldn't get it here, and it'd probably be really old by the time it got here anyway.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2013, 06:28:32 PM »

I drank Shiner for a little while when I first moved down to Texas, but I don't much care for it any more.  Besides, I thought Lone Star was the national beer of Texas.
 :-\

My daughters were both born in Texas but have grown up in Fort Collins, in the Napa Valley of beer.  They made a holiday run together down to San Antonio to stay for a few days and picked up some Lone Star, thinking it was "the national beer of Texas".  They determined in the first few sips that it was pretty bad.  They then took my advice and stuck with Shiner Bock or margaritas for the rest of their stay.

"It's just beer, son, you're not supposed to ENJOY it."

All the citizens here would be taken aback to hear that.  Beer and Colorado State University are the local industries, and if it's not great beer, it's not worth drinking.

Except for the college students who are focused on being able to drink beer all evening (or all day) and still being able to walk - so they drink one of those "lite" brews, which are little more than colored water.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:33:48 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
My daughters were both born in Texas but have grown up in Fort Collins, in the Napa Valley of beer.  They made a holiday run together down to San Antonio to stay for a few days and picked up some Lone Star, thinking it was "the national beer of Texas".  They determined in the first few sips that it was pretty bad.  They then took my advice and stuck with Shiner Bock or margaritas for the rest of their stay.

Yeah, Lone Star is definitely not good, but it is cheap in the bars.  It's like the PBR of Texas.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2013, 08:19:25 PM »

Yeah, Lone Star is definitely not good, but it is cheap in the bars.  It's like the PBR of Texas.

Pabst has owned the Lone Star brand for years.