Author Topic: 36 cheap American beers ranked  (Read 3628 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: 36 cheap American beers ranked
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 09:30:19 PM »
My favorite beer commercial.  Even included on the Cream "Those Were the Days" 4 CD set. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 10:23:51 PM »
That guy's insane, placing Coors as high as he does. Tonight I had both Schlitz (which is great) and National Bohemian and I would take both over Coors in a heartbeat.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 06:03:37 AM »
That guy's insane, placing Coors as high as he does. Tonight I had both Schlitz (which is great) and National Bohemian and I would take both over Coors in a heartbeat.

Back in the days of  "generic" beer, Harry Carrey did a blind taste test.  Of the six beers he sampled, he picked Schlitz as the generic beer more than once.  Generic Beer was a canned version of Walters Special, which was the traditional single tap beer in bars around the Midwest.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 08:40:06 AM »

I agree with the Coors comment. Never liked any variety of their beer. I've heard people rave about how the beer tastes at the brewery tour. That would be fine if that same taste was available in the store.   :rolleyes:
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 09:06:14 AM »
Back in the days of  "generic" beer, Harry Carrey did a blind taste test.  Of the six beers he sampled, he picked Schlitz as the generic beer more than once.  Generic Beer was a canned version of Walters Special, which was the traditional single tap beer in bars around the Midwest.

I never realized Harry was a beer connoisseur.  :)

Walter's Beer was brewed in Eau Claire. The tap was passable, the bottles and cans weren't (IMHO).

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 10:48:02 AM »
I checked to see if Rhinelander was still in business. They are, and now they're also offering craft beers. The mind boggles

Remember Shiner fifteen or twenty years ago?  Absolute ditch water - IMO.  Now, they make some excellent stuff.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
Shiner Bock is the real national beer of Texas, and deservedly.  During the time I was there (1985-98) it was about all I drank, as there were no microbrews in the state.  I haven't noticed any change and it's still my "everyday go-to" beer.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »
Houston is swimming in micro breweries now days - some are gaining national distributorships as well.  It sure isn't our "Superior" water supply  :rolleyes: - so they must be doing something right.

You can probably throw a rock anywhere in Austin and hit at least one, if not two, small breweries.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 03:43:12 PM »

Hmmmm...... This thread is right next to the Toilet Warriors one............

Coincidence? I think not!  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »
Love the comments  ;D.  My in laws are on a Bud Light Lime kick... "tastes like fruit loops soaked in thigh sweat" pretty much sums it up lol.

Went bar hopping 4th ave district in Tucson last night with my wife's cousins, and they got me to try a "manmosa" at Che's Lounge.... Miller High Life and orange juice  :D :puke:.

Couple of my favorites lately are local to me - Phoenix Brewing Co.'s Fretzey Unfiltered Ale and Camelback IPA. 

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 04:50:10 PM »
I have noticed Bud has sucked for the last couple of years...it always used to be the only one I would order at bars where I play, cause even in a sketchy bar, the Bud would taste OK (in the old days).

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 05:12:37 PM »
So many British beers... so little time... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
Genny Cream Ale brewed right here in Rochester NY. Genny screamers we called 'em cause that's what your bung hole will be doing the next morning.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 07:21:31 AM »
Genny Cream Ale brewed right here in Rochester NY. Genny screamers we called 'em cause that's what your bung hole will be doing the next morning.

You drink any Big Flats beer up there in Rochester?  They sell it at Walgreens here in Austin, it's about 3 bucks for a sixer and tastes sorta like Busch.  It says on the can that it's brewed in Rochester, but I'd never seen or heard of it before and I lived in the NE the first 41 years of my life.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 08:39:10 AM »
 Never heard of Big Flats. The Genny brewery brews lots of different beers though not just Genny any more.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird