Author Topic: 36 cheap American beers ranked  (Read 3627 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
36 cheap American beers ranked
« on: July 04, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
http://deadspin.com/36-cheap-american-beers-ranked-638820035

I don't care about the beers, but I did enjoy his comments. Example: 33. Rolling Rock. Smells like three fat guys in a two-man tent.  ;D

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: 36 cheap American beers ranked
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
My son started with Keystone, because "you could drink a lot for cheap".  Six years later, he's got his Cisterone certificate and is working at The Great Divide brewery.  I think he's trying to leave Denver and head back to Chicago in the hopes of working for Three Floyds.

I did love the comments.  I used to like MGD for a cheap, easy drinking beer.  They should have included Rhinelander, which is the only beer I ever had that tasted like the can.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:40:23 PM »
You can do a lot worse than Grain Belt, and I do have a few Gansetts around the shack.  Mostly fun reading.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »
I had too many Coor's Lights yesterday. Hey, it's what was in the cooler behind the stage! Not feeling so great today.  :-\

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:16:48 AM »
... which is the only beer I ever had that tasted like the can.

ROFL...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »

Growing up in Washington we had the original Olympia (Oly, or Olies) and Rainer (Raindog) and yes, as a high scholl ruffian, trouble making, musician I drank quite a few! Grain Belt gets honorable mention, my Grandfather drank it, often while smoking a pipe  ;D 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:46:22 AM »
Some of the jokes are funny.  But cheap American beer really is that bad.  I haven't tried everything on that list, but I've had quite a number.  Pabst is the only one on there that I had that I'd be able to tolerate.   The Germans, Dutch, and Belgians seem to know how to make cheap beer but we don't.  It's that simple.  I don't know what their secret is, but obviously neither does anyone else.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »
Nice commentary, and quote perceptive.  I resonated to the comment about "...at a license-plates-on-the-wall kind of restaurant."  Most of the places I ate while living in Texas fit that description.  The ones that sell BBQ are pretty damn good.

I've always found PBR to be a decent, drinkable beer, and Coors is more than decent, it's just undistinguished.  Never been a fan of Bud's taste.

I have never, nor will I ever, consider any beer with the words "Lite" or "Light" in the name, to be real beer.  The best you can say about it is that someone's horse passed its test and they had to find something to do with the leftover sample.

But now that I'm living in beer snob heaven, I tend toward amber ales, porters and stouts, non of which are ever likely to show up in the "cheap" category.

The best thing I can say about most cheap beers is to paraphrase Victor McLaglen in "Fort Apache" when he said to the Colonel (Henry Fonda): "Well, 'tis better than no whiskey at all, sir."

The full and delightful exchange:

[in the storeroom at Meacham's trading post, the soldiers find boxes marked "Bibles" - Col. Thursday tells the men to open them - when they do, they find kegs of whiskey instead]

Sgt. Quincannon: Bibles, sir!
Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: [Col. Thursday hands a cup to Sgt. Mulcahy] Sergeant, pour me some scripture.
[Sgt. Mulcahy dips the cup into a keg and hands it to Col. Thursday. He takes a sip and spits it out]
Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: What's in this? Brimstone and sulfur?
Silas Meacham: You know what it is and I'm entitled to keep it.
Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: Your license may permit you to keep a medicinal store of whiskey, but this is no whiskey.
Silas Meacham: Perhaps you're not used to frontier whiskey.
Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: I don't know... I've tasted most everything.
[to Sgt. Mulcahy]
Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: Sergeant, you a judge of whiskey?
First Sgt. Festus Mulcahy: [looks around at the others] Uh, well, sir, some people say I am and some say I'm not, sir.
Lt. Col. Owen Thursday: [hands him the cup] Tell me what you make of this.
First Sgt. Festus Mulcahy: [takes a drink - makes a face at Meacham - takes another drink] Well, uh, it's better than no whiskey at all, sir.

:rimshot:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:01:51 PM »
Growing up in Washington we had the original Olympia (Oly, or Olies) and Rainer (Raindog) and yes, as a high scholl ruffian, trouble making, musician I drank quite a few!
Back in my young and dumb drinking days, when money was tight, I'd occasionally grab a 40 of Rainier.
That stuff use to seriously give me nightmares.
 :o
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
Rainier was famed for having TV commercials created from employee ideas.

And I always loved the Hamm's ber sport siwth the bear and forest animals...

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 01:27:39 PM »
My son, the aspiring brewmaster, has everyone beat for beer snobbery.  He and some of his friends are big on gypsy runs of limited beer.  Because you still can't get truly fresh European beer here, what they do now is make "tours" for brewmeisters.  Some guys from Germany/Holland/wherever will come over and do a tour of small breweries.  They will make a limited run of their special brew, and then head out for the next city.  My son has traveled as far as a few hundred miles just to get a sample of the freshest European beer this side of the Atlantic.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »
Al's comments re the Colonel reminded me of an anecdote from my Burma research about my dad's commanding officer...

When they were behind the lines all supplies were sent in by "drops" from Dakotas and "specials" were usually identified with a coloured ribbon... this might be orders, or photo recon material, or "luxuries" ...

Well, his C/O Bill Henning used to get a "rum-drop" and these bottles were kept in his horse's saddlebags, and his groom/batman, an ex jockey (champion one, by all [turf] accounts) ensured they remained secure... once they had reached a "safe-harbour" for the night the call could be heard "Paddy...! Fetch my saddlebags...!" and everyone knew what it meant... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 07:18:31 PM »
When I drank at gigs I'd always get Ziegen Bock. 

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
Not a beer snob, and don't drink that much to begin with, but cheap beer is easy for even me to taste.  I once spent four weeks in Biinghamton, NY for training and, being on per diem, we made out money last as long as we could - if I never, ever heard of Gennesee anything I would be fine >:(  Tasted like fermented ditch water strained through moldy sweat socks........

As for PBR - it can't be that bad if Jerry Jeff sang about it ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 08:26:47 PM »
They should have included Rhinelander, which is the only beer I ever had that tasted like the can.

I checked to see if Rhinelander was still in business. They are, and now they're also offering craft beers. The mind boggles.

Anyway, here's my favorite old beer commercial from the former Jacob Schmidt Brewery in St. Paul.