Author Topic: Amazing Chevy auction  (Read 3672 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Amazing Chevy auction
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 08:44:39 PM »
Ahhh lowrider....  Always been more of a 59-60 fan.  Love them, uh, fins!    :)

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »
Out past the cornfields where the woods got heavy
Out in the back seat of my '60 Chevy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »
I think he meant making it into a low rider would reduce the value.

Absolutely.  You could easily turn a $40,000 car into a $10,000 car.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »
That '64, while nice, would be more desirable if it was a dual 4 bbl 409 equipped Super Sport model.  The 327 is a nice workhorse though.  We owned a '64 Wagon with the 283 powerglide and 4 wheel non power assisted drum brakes.  It was very reliable though.  Dad bought it new and we sold it in 1978.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
you really think that 64 is worth 40 grand. if so i have one to sell you. i bet it goes for around 6 grand. old cars are not as valuable as most people think. especially stored the way these cars were. low milage not withstanding.  :rolleyes:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 05:09:03 PM »
I follow a number of auto enthusiast magazines and I am confident that a '64 with original paint, drivetrain and refurb'd interior and soft parts would easily bring $30K, more likely over $40K.  These cars are valuable partly because of how they came on the market.  The provenance is part of the value, and so is the incredibly low mileage.  Any vehicle that has been in any service at all is worth much less.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:24:19 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Hörnisse

• View Profile

Rob

• View Profile

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 07:11:50 AM »
now your talking refurbished. i'm talking about left in a building for over fifty years. dry rot on all the soft spots, a motor, tranny and rear end that probably wasn't drained of fluids and whatever else could happen over a half century.

ok, maybe 7500. :)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 07:41:51 AM »
now your talking refurbished. i'm talking about left in a building for over fifty years. dry rot on all the soft spots, a motor, tranny and rear end that probably wasn't drained of fluids and whatever else could happen over a half century.

for 40 grand you could buy a really amazing car at a place like barrett jackson instead of a bone stock chevy.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »
i think value would increase as a ground up restoration as a custom/hot rod. the stock version has limited value in spite of the low milage.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1964+chevy+lowrider+photos&qpvt=1964+chevy+lowrider+photos&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=432C979B06BBFB12488270A9E1813D3D79F639F2&selectedIndex=42

Ground up restos generally are not worth as much as pristine low mileage originals.  Same with just about any collectible including musical instruments. On the resale market customs/hot rods are rarely worth what they cost to build.  Again, similar to custom instruments.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2013, 08:39:34 AM »

Actually, you and I are on the same wavelength here.  Replacing hoses, body seals, rubber body mounts (it's a full frame car) and such wouldn't be a strong negative.  The gas tank would have to come out and be re-sealed, and the engine and transmission should be disassembled, cleaned and re-assembled, but that's still not a rebuild. Biggest issue would be having a solid interior with original materials.  If the car was where no sunlight hit it, the seat covers and interior could be intact...but my guess is they'd be brittle enough that at least the seat covers and padding would need to be replaced with NOS or top quality repro materials.

Two years ago I sold my 1958 Fiat Spyder - it had a quilted fabric covered dashboard, and had always been stored out of sunlight.  The fabric was still intact and original, although brittle.  Many of those relatively primitive 50's and 60's fabrics and vinyl hold up prettyd arn well if they're not exposed to sunlight.

At any rate, my contention is that turning the car into a low-rider would reduce its value.  Its real market value is based on being a restored original with low mileage.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »
i quick look on the interweb shows several nice restored models in the low 22k range. these are turn key cars that need nothing. maybe except an odometer than shows 1 mile.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »
i quick look on the interweb shows several nice restored models in the low 22k range. these are turn key cars that need nothing. maybe except an odometer than shows 1 mile.

Important difference!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 10:08:44 AM »
Important difference!

You betcha! That makes all the difference.