Author Topic: KISS on Beavis & Butt-Head  (Read 3668 times)

Blazer

KISS on Beavis & Butt-Head
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:04:17 PM »

bobyoung

• View Profile
Re: KISS on Beavis & Butt-Head
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
Mimes usually start saying stuff after you kick 'em in the nads, hahahahahaha!!
I miss their sophisticated humor.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:11:02 AM »
Yes, Beavis and Butthead were philosphers ("and stuff ...") In their own way. We must also be eternally grateful to them that wearing short pants is cool while wearing Winger t-shirts isn't.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 07:14:13 AM »
Blazer is a bit like the Winger kid here, isn't he? (Ducking ...) I still thought theo other two were unduly harsh on him ...

Blazer

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 07:26:23 AM »
Blazer is a bit like the Winger kid here, isn't he? (Ducking ...) I still thought theo other two were unduly harsh on him ...

I'm like Stewart?

In what way?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:37:47 AM »
We simply know you have a comprehensive Winger collection stashed away at home!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Blazer

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:22:04 AM »
We simply know you have a comprehensive Winger collection stashed away at home!
You're wrong I couldn't even name one title of theirs, heck I don't even know what their music sounds like.  :mrgreen:

All I know is that Kip Winger is a Funny name because "Kip" is also the Dutch word for "Chicken"

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 08:51:48 AM »
I don't know why Winger became to epitomize the laughable side of 80ies hair metal. I know a couple of their songs, they were catchy pop rock songs, less clicheed than some of the stuff Bon Jovi did, even clever at times, why Winger are funny and Cinderella and Night Ranger (which I like) aren't, I'll never know. There was a rumor that along with Slaughter, Winger's MTV Unplugged session was deemed so bad it was never aired.  I'd be surprised if that were true, Kip was an experinced bass player with Alice Cooper, Reb Beach is no sluch on the guitar (whteher you like his whammy bar dive bomb approach is another matter) and did even the drummer come from college student favorite proggies Dixie Dregs? 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 09:24:35 AM »
Great. Now I won't be able to eat chicken wings again without thinking of Kip Winger.  :)

I've never heard Winger or 99% of other 80s hair metal bands, I wouldn't even know any of the players' names if I hadn't seen them in guitar mags or catalogs. But they must be skilled players, even if it's not music I would listen to.

Blazer

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 09:27:13 AM »
Mike Judge did interviews on B&B on the recent DVD boxes of the series and he said that it wasn't a conscious choice to have Stewart wear a Winger T-shirt, it was just one of the many Hair metal acts that he could choose from. Winger's management actually got in contact with Judge and asked him to cut Stewart from the cartoon, in response Judge actually increased Stewart's appaerences in the cartoon and even made him more dopey.  

The result: From Reb Beach's website...

The experience was very sudden. I had just bought a house on the lake in Florida and life was good. We spent years on one record that was by far our best, and I figured it had to at least go gold, since our last one went platinum, and this one was better. If the record went gold I would have gotten like a $200,000 publishing advance. Life was good.

So we released the record and went out on the road and that’s when the floor fell out from under us practically overnight. Some guy came to the bus with a copy of Beavis and Butthead and in it they hung a nerd up by his underwear while he wore his Winger t-shirt. They went to his house, and his loser family (including the dog) were all wearing Winger t-shirts. That week people stopped coming to our shows and record sales came to a screeching halt. "Down incognito" was taking off at radio when DJ’s just dropped it from their playlists because they were too embarrassed to have their station associated with it. A month later I called Atlantic records and they had never heard of Winger.

http://www.rebbeach.com/history_faq_2005_interview.htm

So I'm sorry Uwe, but in hind sight I find it quite insulting that you say I'm like Stewart.  >:(

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »
The Reb Beach story is interesting but even if that's when their sales took a dive, it's just silly to think that a cable network cartoon was responsible. I just looked at their discography -- it was released in 1993, three years after their last album. In those three years, hair metal's popularity had gone down the drain, without any help from Beavis & Butthead.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 09:51:05 AM »
Reb Beach, like many whining hair metal 'stars' obviously lacks a sense of humor (those who are the butt of a joke often do) along with the ability to see reality if he thinks B&B tanked his career single handedly...

Winger, while they had a few decent pop tunes, were a joke long before B&B added to their fortunes.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 09:54:02 AM »
But... but... he had his own Ibanez guitar model! He must be right!  :mrgreen:

Blazer

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
But... but... he had his own Ibanez guitar model! He must be right!  :mrgreen:
not only that...