Author Topic: The FDP is closing  (Read 3605 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: The FDP is closing
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 09:53:14 PM »
Thanks, I remember you also. Wondered what happened  :)

Maybe you can go to the Bass section of the FDP and address some concerns there about a person having Malware and Adware warnings on this forum  after they registered and got on the forum

FYI, I am not experiencing these things

I just did, thanks.

I stopped using Malwarebytes almost a year ago because of too many false positives on sites I knew were clean and had been verified clean by Norton Safe Web and my antivirus software. It seems like they're flagging just about any sites with ads. In our case, we've never had any ads.

Bubbalou88

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 09:57:09 PM »
Yes, I also stopped using Malware Bytes several years ago because of to many false positives. Until you just mentioned it I had forgotten all about it.
CEO of Retired

Bubbalou88

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 10:02:11 PM »
Dave W, thank you for posting on FDP. Now that I absolutely know there is tight security etc I am looking forward to being a member here.   :)
CEO of Retired

Hushnel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 07:42:35 AM »
Well thanks for letting me in “o)

I’ve been on the FDP since 2000. Made a lot of friends, played with a bunch of great musicians. It’s sad to see it shut down, I’m hoping those that have been part of that forum find a way to gather some place. There are motivated members that will try to keep the mob together.

It was FDPers that got me building my own instrument. Most of the guys that walked me through the building and set up were six stringers. I go to TB occasionally for information and reviews but it’s way to huge to have any semblance of hometown community.

I believe Bassoutpost will be great for bassist, and many FDPers will check in. This is the same picture you’ll remember https://flic.kr/p/WWiGQj

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 07:56:46 AM »
You used all that cuban mahogany for a P bass? Who let this guy in here?
Just kidding though and nice bass, would have been cooler if you made an EB-1 out of that wood instead but still, nice bass.
Welcome aboard!
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »
Yep, that's the picture I remember. Beautiful bass.

Hushnel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 09:02:25 AM »
Thanks, I think. My guitar player at the time gave the Cuban Mahogany to me, his day job was cabinet making. This was wood from a penthouse library he was building in NYC.

The one I’m building now is going to be Tulipwood with 100 year old Black Walnut top and back, probably chambered. I’ve had this piece of Honduran Mahogany for about 20 years, it’s 4” by 10” by 10’. I’ll use this for the neck, my neighbor gave be two boards of Brazilian Rosewood I’ll use for the fingerboard. Probably use a 32” scale. Haven’t nailed down the body shape yet. I’m still leveling the abalone cut from two shells for the inlay https://flic.kr/p/2hfuFVm.

I’ve gotten real partial to my Guild Starfire and I’m thinking of using two Bisonic pickups, I may even use it’s body shape too, haven’t decided yet.

In my youth (1967), I had a buddy who wanted me to try out his EB0. I had only ever played my 1964 Framus Atlantic, seen here when I did a total cleaning and set up https://flic.kr/p/21bWuiM, another story. I wasn’t impressed, I was a kid and really didn’t feel comfortable with any other bass, at the time.

The Framus was my only bass up until 1981 when I was ambushed by the Fender Precision Special. I was playing two to three times a week not including rehearsals and the old Framus really wasn’t cutting it. The P Special is heavy, a boat anchor, but it’s the one that goes into the studio with me and be the last one I get rid of. The Guild Starfire gets most of the work now a days, for the more acoustic type venues I used either the mid 80s factory fretless Guild B-50 or the little and cheap Ibanez PNB14E guitar scale ABG either of these I’ll run through the Phil Jones two by four.

This one I made to take up to Victor Wootens bass camp, I attended a little over a year ago. It’s a 30 inch scale with a scatter wound 51 P-bass pickup. I had Victor, Roy, Reggie, Chuck Rainey all the other instructors, staff and attendees sign it, https://flic.kr/p/WWj3fm Signed https://flic.kr/p/KtxQWh

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »
All homeless Fenderistas are welcome, bring'em on!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 12:05:50 PM »
That 30" Tele is great looking! Love the color, too.

I have a Tele body with nice grain and a 30" neck sitting around, and I intend to make something of them before long.

My guess is that the Fender forum here is about to become more lively.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Hushnel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 01:06:16 PM »
Thanks, and I bet your correct about the Fender forum low Enders. Shortly after I moved up to the farm after I retired I came across a 2X8 at HomeDepot, that had tight even grain and great tone. I let it sit in the shop for 5 years then made a bass out of it. The body is a little small, after edging the 8” board down for a tight center joint but the tone is really good. Same pickup as I used in the Surf Green linked above.

This one I stained with a propane torch. Funky looking but a player for sure.
 https://flic.kr/p/WAfXZw

For that surf green I had the guys at the automotive paint store mix it up and put it into a spray can for me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 08:30:32 AM by Hushnel »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 01:25:38 PM »
...for that surf green I had the guys at the automotive paint store mix it up and put it into a spray can for me.

Which of course is the same route what Leo took.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2019, 01:29:20 PM »
The P Special is heavy, a boat anchor, but it’s the one that goes into the studio with me and be the last one I get rid of.

I love them too but I don't think the weight is a crucial factor in their sound. I have a NOS '81 P Special PCB/harness that one day I'll install in a lightweight P and have a light P Special. The pickups on them were standard P under the white plastic covers.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Hushnel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 02:06:52 PM »
I agree weight may not be the main determining aspect of it’s tone, you could say that about the LesPaul too, but it is part of the sound, it’s certainly not just the weight but density, grain and hardness will add resonance and sustain.

The Homedepot bass is very light weight but has a great tone, you can test wood by tapping it. I know a guy who drops his bone nuts and bridges on a hard surface to determine density. Certainly it’s addition is slight but it does all add up.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2019, 09:16:35 PM »
IMHO every element has some effect on tone, however small.

Hushnel

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2019, 08:37:35 AM »
I agree. Trying to wrangle them all into harmony can be an adventure. The worst is when you get a wolf tone from a single note. Usually a neck problem, and the dead spots. Doesn’t often happen but it can and it sucks.