Author Topic: Gibson bass with Warwick two piece Bridge  (Read 9577 times)

ampang

• View Profile
Re: Gibson bass with Warwick two piece Bridge
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 07:54:59 AM »
Yes, I'm going to take some pics this evening.
BTW I'm not arrived at a final decision for the pickup ...and as for now I'm even using the...ahem..original six poles one (p100?) ..that is not so bad by the way, but of course not presentable..I loved the neck of that guitar and the fact that it is mahogany w/ set neck...a very cheap ultrashort scale bass in the end...Of course it is very strange to havea pickup sooo close to the bridge and this is the reason why it is still a work in progress...I have the temptation to route for a mudbucker against the end of the neck...but then the thing wont be anymore revertible..
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 08:22:06 AM by ampang »

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 08:05:09 AM »
A shot of my Lp Warwick bridge showing the recessed flat plate it sits on.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 01:07:35 PM »
That's totally sexy. I wouldn't mind routing out the Tbird for the lower plate either. I love this bass and I intend to keep it and make it my own.
Half-speed Hawkwind

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2008, 12:41:58 AM »
Cool! I like that bass. But I still think a LP Bass would look slightly better with pickguard (like Uwe's bass) and pick up at the neck.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2008, 05:25:51 AM »
The Lp felt awkward at first with the carved top and slightly chunky neck, but after I got it properly set up, I find myself playing and using the bass more & more. The neck is very comfortable & fast.  The tone very versatile, it carries a lot of the qualities of the guitar-biting warm passive, but super hot. I love having the toggle as well. It's amazing how nice it is to have one. I use it a lot. That was the one draw back I had with the money bass- no toggle.

The Warwick bridge is an amazing German engineered bridge that is easily adjustable in EVERY direction!

It must have 20 set screws on it!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 10:10:49 AM »
The Lp felt awkward at first with the carved top and slightly chunky neck

that's the way I felt when I picked up an LP for my son, only it's a flat top.   I liked the neck immediately, though.  it's one of my faves now.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
I emailed Warwick asking what their bass bridges are made out of. In case anyone was wondering, the official word is:

"The Warwick bridges are made of a proprietary alloy designed to enhance the wood characteristics of their basses. It is a combination of metals."

Sounds like the answer is.... DAS SECRET.
Half-speed Hawkwind

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 01:18:31 AM »
Sounds like Zamac to me.
Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 09:41:35 AM »
"The Warwick bridges are made of a proprietary alloy designed to enhance the wood characteristics of their basses. It is a combination of metals."

Don't you just love marketing bullcrap? Reminds me of Leo Quan claiming the Badass is made of "special tone transfer metal."  ::)

There's nothing wrong with Zamac or similar alloys, I just wish they would either come right out and say "it's a diecast alloy" or else decline to answer.

IMHO the design and weight of the bridge is more important than the material.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 11:06:29 AM »
The Warwick bridge weighs a ton. That is is supposed to enhance the wood tone is news to me, in my opinion the less bridge you have the more wood you hear. I hate Fender bridges, but you can't deny that they certainly let the wood of a P or J do the talking.

The Warwick bridge is a work of engineering art, I have no issues with it, but a lot of people criticise it for making all basses sound alike because it favors bridge sound over wood tone. That said, I can still hear the wood differences between my LP Standard, my EB-U with the Warwick bridge and my Warwick Fortress Flashback.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 01:13:56 PM »
I agree with your observations, but not with people saying it "favors bridge sound." What a heavier bridge does is favor the sound of the pickups and strings over the sound of the wood. That's why your three basses with Warwick bridges all sound different -- because it's not the bridge sound, it's the sound of three different basses with different electronics.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2008, 06:39:49 AM »
Hey Dave, I didn't say Zamac is crap, the only thing I hate about Zamac is that most (low quality) alloys are kinda fragile.

Don’t be stupid, be a smartie - come and join die schwarze Hardware party!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 10:42:13 AM »
I didn't think you were saying it was crap. I don't know how fragile it is but it probably depends on the part being designed right. There are plenty of cast Zamac parts used in industry that don't seem to have any problems. But then there are the occasional reports of Rickenbacker "R" guitar tailpieces shattering and the bass bridges pulling up at one end, both just from string pressure.

ampang

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2008, 08:17:29 AM »
some pic of the guitar-to-bass conversion project (not finished yet) w/ a warwick bridge as requested by Chris
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:24:09 AM by ampang »

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2008, 08:27:43 AM »
Like I said: My girlfriend has this guitar. I gave it to her, but maybe I'll ask it back:)\

Nice! I guess it has a scale length of something like 25" That would be super short scale. Has it got any bass in the E string left? I guess the P90 will sound nice.