Author Topic: Zemaitis FS - HOLY CATS!!  (Read 2731 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Zemaitis FS - HOLY CATS!!
« on: April 09, 2012, 07:32:53 PM »
No affiliation, but if this is the price he's asking - SOMEBODY JUMP ON THIS.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-feeler-zemaitis-bass-celebrity-owned-871897/

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Zemaitis FS - HOLY CATS!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »
It's one of the reissues. I never understood the appeal of the originals.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:39:04 AM »
Interesting.  I was not aware that the Zemaitis Custom Shop was doing reissues.  I knew that someone was making copies, but not these.  I played a "cheap" Zemaitis once.  It was a single pickup, and only $13K.  It was a nice, simple bass.  I once had the opportunity to buy one, at half of what it had been bought for, and decided that it really wasn't worth the money.  While I always loved the sound that Ronnie Lane and Pete Cruickshank got from theirs, I just couldn't justify the cost.

Now that I know this is a RI, it's probably priced too high.  Oops.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:48:12 AM »
That someone would be Greco. They are building (affordable) licensed Zemaitis instruments.

http://www.zemaitis-guitars.com/our_guitars/gz/index.php

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:31:09 AM »
While I always loved the sound that Ronnie Lane and Pete Cruickshank got from theirs, I just couldn't justify the cost.

Ronnie Lane's had 2 single-coil Precision PUPs, love the sound of those PUPpies, but cost-wise I couldn't agree more. They make beautiful pics tho' ..... but so do a lot of women I can't afford ....  :mrgreen:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:32:21 AM »
Ahhhh....I hadn't seen any of the metal front models until now.  As I recall, the Greco reissues were going for about $2500?

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
Could someone explain me why these instruments costs so much? Do they cut the wood with their teeth?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »
Ronnie Lane's had 2 single-coil Precision PUPs, love the sound of those PUPpies, but cost-wise I couldn't agree more. They make beautiful pics tho' ..... but so do a lot of women I can't afford ....  :mrgreen:

Ronnie had two different Zemaitis basses.  One is owned by Bob Daisley these days.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
Could someone explain me why these instruments costs so much? Do they cut the wood with their teeth?

The originals had a lot of hand work by Tony Zemaitis. Once he had established a reputation, he could charge more than average. I don't know why the reissues cost so much, although I think they're a lot less expensive than the originals.

Mr. Zemaitis retired. As I understand it, he died a couple of years later and never appointed a successor or sold the company. His family later sold the rights to the name to the current company. So IMHO the current company isn't really a successor to the original in the same way that, say, today's Gibson is the successor of Orville Gibson.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 11:53:08 AM »
John Birch in the UK had a close copies of Zematis styled guitars for sale until recently. IIRC they had excellent magazine reviews too.