Author Topic: You guys like Gretsch Broadkasters?  (Read 4556 times)

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
You guys like Gretsch Broadkasters?
« on: August 19, 2011, 05:34:44 AM »
If so, check this one out.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: You guys like Gretsch Broadkasters?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:36:18 AM »
very nice.  need to look away
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:18:19 AM »
To me, Gretsch basses LOOK like a bass guitar ought to look.  And i love the color of that one.  Price isn't bad, either.

But y'know, I haven't been able to justify going after one now that I have my 5123.  As far as I can tell, the difference between it and a Broadkaster is that the upscale model has binding in the F-holes, a pickguard, and it's 30" instead of 32" scale.  That's not enough reason for me to pay more than the $799 retail for the 5123.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »
I played a broadcaster the other day. Not bad...I wish i had plugged it in. But they wanted 1299.00 and for a MIJ bass...that was too much...I wouldn't even pay that much for an Orville T bird....unless it was white! Still...played nice.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 02:24:04 AM »
We now have twins Al!  I brought my 5123 home yesterday (15% off sale) and it really is a nice bass for the money. Aside from the Broadkaster extra touches, this one plays just as nice and looks good!  I'll post a pic when I have a minute.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:44:41 AM »
We now have twins Al!  I brought my 5123 home yesterday (15% off sale) and it really is a nice bass for the money. Aside from the Broadkaster extra touches, this one plays just as nice and looks good!  I'll post a pic when I have a minute.

Please do!  15% off????   Dang, you lucky stiff!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 10:46:51 AM »
Please do!  15% off????   Dang, you lucky stiff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took the stock strings off today and polished her up.  Really nice looking now!  Put some D'A flats on, they sound nice and thumpy.  The sale is on till the 11th., it was an internet coupon.  They'll give it to anyone for most items.  I never shop there but 15% is enough to get me going.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 12:41:35 PM »
Here she is!  She sounds great.  I think the TV Jones (whatever that means) pups are more middy than a Broadkaster's, but about the same power from what I can recall.  The hardware a little lower quality, but it's hard to tell.  Mostly the knobs are smaller than standard Gretsch and the tuners are really smooth but I don't know yet how solid they are.  The chrome pup rings are really different, but look nice on there.  The fit and finish is as good as my old BK.  I'm liking the 32" neck, kinda cool.  My first 32" bass.  Overall, a real nice score for the price.  She's going to practice Monday night for a test run.  We'll see how she does..........

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »
I think the TV Jones (whatever that means) pups ...

There really is a T.V. Jones. His first name is Tom.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 05:49:02 PM »
There really is a T.V. Jones. His first name is Tom.

Oops, I know Tom, I've bought a lot of pups from him.  I meant I'm not sure if the pups are totally made by him or overseas.  Either way, they sound good!  Retail pups from him run around $125 for US made ones, so I was just wondering about their origin.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
Here she is!  She sounds great.  I think the TV Jones (whatever that means) pups are more middy than a Broadkaster's....

I was thinking that both had the Thundertron pickups, but I was wrong - evidently the Broadkasters have Filtertrons, and the White Falcons, Thunder Jets  and Electrotones have Thundertrons.

And I just tripped over this while searching for pickup info...this bass is evidently a Broadkaster (see the f-hole binding) but is otherwise a dead ringer for the 5123...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRETSCH-BROADKASTER-BASS-NO-RESERVE-gretch-/250905896458?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a6b28260a

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
By the size of the f-holes I would say that it looks like the 5123 has got a much smaller body ........ like uh ........ less broad  :mrgreen:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 10:18:06 AM »
Maybe, but the body on that 5123 is already big enough that small people can't play it.  I put the pix up and compared, and I think the f-holes are smaller on the Ebay bass, causing the visual effect.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »
From what I can tell, the 5123 looks to be the same size as the BK.  My arms rests in the shallow between the bouts just the same way as before when I play (finger picking over the neck pup).  I took it to practice last night and had a blast with it.  The rest of the guys loved the sound and I'm gonna see how it goes after a couple more practices.  It was fun to play and really has a nice thump to it.  I was able to set the action very low and it is very comfortable to play.  I like the 32" scale!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 03:17:26 PM »
The color and the feel of that bass are just....delicious.  It's a treat to play it.