Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

thunderdisaster

<< < (2/3) > >>

n!k:
I've had a terrible run with Reverb with lots of surprise defective things. I'd absolutely return it, just on principle.

Dave W:

--- Quote from: ilan on January 24, 2024, 10:14:41 AM ---Definitely open a dispute through Reverb and get your money back. Even if you can live with the neck twist, it seriously devalues the bass and makes it nearly impossible to sell. You may have to swallow shipping costs but it's worth it.

--- End quote ---

This.

The tuner is replaceable, the twisted neck isn't. Return it and get your money back.

uwe:
True, keeping it with a twisted neck only makes sense if it was a singular piece not available anywhere else.

wellREDman:
Firstly thank you all for your replies.

--- Quote from: Dave W on January 24, 2024, 06:06:14 PM ---
The tuner is replaceable, the twisted neck isn't. Return it and get your money back.

--- End quote ---

the twist in the neck is a non issue, I cannot see it and the action is completely acceptable. I only know its there because the guitar tech told me, and that he felt the action is higher than he would like for a set up.
  he also has suggested that the twist may be from having it stored with the top strings under tension and the E string slack  in which case I can store it with the
E and A under tension and the D & G slack which will likely pull it back.
 99% of its job is to hang on my wall and look purty so I can easily do that.

--- Quote from: gearHed289 on January 23, 2024, 08:56:06 AM ---There should be no reaming required to replace the tuner. It's likely a Schaller M4 or Gotoh GB7, possibly stamped "GIBSON" on the back. I've got a set of (4) black Schallers that say Gibson that I've been thinking of selling, but they are for a 2+2 headstock (came off my Les Paul).

--- End quote ---

unfortunately its neither a schaller or a Gotoh, both of those have a 14mm bore and the bass has a 13mm hole.

also the ears for the screws are in a totally different place

where are the ears on the gibson ones your thinking of selling and what is the bore size?
[/img]

I'm thinking of offering the guy who sold it the choice of full refund or I keep it and he refunds me £300 (I paid £1700) to cover the cost of repairs and decrease in value to restore it to Good condition

--- Quote from: uwe on January 24, 2024, 09:10:36 AM ---I also don't think that one replacement tuner is going to affect the value of a '93 TBird in a relevant way. I for one prefer working non-original to non-working original.

--- End quote ---

replacing it with a different tuner that will require an extra hole or reaming will surely impact the value won't it?

bearing in mind that I talked the wife into swapping a krugerand from our savings for it on the grounds that it is an investment and should hold its value

uwe:
Tuners are replacement parts. Like any mechanical device they don't last forever. Getting a replacement one just shows that you kept the bass functional.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version