Author Topic: Steven Fromholz  (Read 4541 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Steven Fromholz
« on: January 20, 2014, 03:46:22 PM »
I realize most of you have no idea who I'm talking about, but here's a sad story: Texas musician Steve Fromholz dies in hunting accident

My favorite of the 70s "progressive country" movement. I was privileged to see him play twice and i still have his 1976 Capitol album.

RIP Steve.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Steven Fromholz
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »
rip... never leave them loaded...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 07:38:58 PM »
The iconic musician was also known as a colorful community activist. In 1993, he organized a?peaceful mooning of the KKK which made headlines all over the world. Fromholz and the legendary writer Molly Ivins later staged a peaceful "sleep-in" – complete with campfires—on the steps of the State Capitol in defense of Austin’s homeless.

THAT sounds like someone whose music I need to check out! Horrible accident. RIP.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 09:44:21 PM »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:11:06 PM »
Some further sad details here.

Fromholz was moving a Rossi .44-magnum lever-action rifle in a soft case that wasn’t zipped at the bottom. The rifle dropped out of the case, struck the ground, and discharged....

“A Winchester lever-action has got a bar on the front of the firing pin that will not let the hammer rest on the firing pin unless you squeeze the trigger,” Arista said. “The Rossi didn’t have that on it.”

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:39:26 PM »
I am constantly amazed with the number of people who can't be bothered to handle firearms safely.  It seems incredible to me that someone would put a firearm into a carrying case without clearing it first.  IMO ignorance of safe procedure and carelessness are two of the most frequent reasons for these injuries and deaths.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »
it was an ACCIDENT furcrysakes! >:(

note; this post has nothing to do with gun control issues.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:53:53 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »
Guns don't kill people. People do.

So the saying goes.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
“A Winchester lever-action has got a bar on the front of the firing pin that will not let the hammer rest on the firing pin unless you squeeze the trigger,” Arista said. “The Rossi didn’t have that on it.”

Marlin has the most sensible solution for lever actions, the half cock with a hammer block. This was an accident, and tragic, but an accident. I also have to say that the hogs he was hunting with .44 mag rifle must be some pretty mean animals. That's one huge chunk of lead.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 08:35:59 PM »

He sounds like a more forceful Glen Campbell.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 09:49:47 PM »
Yes, it was an accident. It could have been prevented, though. What a waste.

Hard to tell from YT clips, but he had a very resonant baritone. In person, it was nonstop entertainment between songs. He was a naturally funny guy. Both times I saw him, his cocktail of choice was beer mixed with Dimetapp liquid.

Feral hogs have become a huge problem in Texas.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »
Dave, I don't know if you remember the Lone Star Cafe (long gone) but Steven sang the jingle.

https://leetilford.wiredrive.com/present-project-detail/token/296399efb1035486661527515fe4efe7

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 11:09:32 PM »

I knew about that, but I thought the big ones were still relatively rare. Obviously not. In case like that, I'd just use a high capacity semi-auto, probably some variant of the M-1/M-14, definitely .308/7.62mm or bigger and just spray (albeit aiming) the herds. I do that to coyotes, and the ones that get hit but aren't wounded fatally are killed by the others. I'm happy to say that only happened once, ironically with my lever action 30/30. Every other shot has been instantly fatal. I'm not cruel. They kill calves and would take a child at the first opportunity.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »
Dave, I don't know if you remember the Lone Star Cafe (long gone) but Steven sang the jingle.

https://leetilford.wiredrive.com/present-project-detail/token/296399efb1035486661527515fe4efe7

Don't remember the cafe but I have heard him sing the jingle before, IIRC in a Farm Aid film.

That reminds me of a mock Jimmy Dean commercial he used to do: "Dimmy Jean's Puke Poor Sausage, fresh from the pig's butt to your table."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 01:36:59 PM »

Sorry, had no intention of starting a firearm debate.

When I lived in Bryan, TX (contiguous with College Station) we lived on the edge of a wooded area.  One of the neighbors trapped a feral hog weighing around 300 pounds in those woods in the early 90's.  Yup, that was a bit of a problem.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."