Author Topic: Explorer Shadow  (Read 3104 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: Explorer Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 10:46:51 AM »
Now that I think about it... I have seen some White Hamers....Man... My memory is scattered.... I do remember playing Jon Brandt's cream white Cruise bass....

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 07:16:16 AM »
This just went unsold on eBay and has been re-listed. Seems like a really good price, though the finish is questionable. I was tempted to grab it myself, but I'd end up routing it for T-Bird pups.  8)

http://m.ebay.com/itm/191221974698?nav=SEARCH

There's an Alpine white Epi that I have my eye on...

The ranking of Gibson related Explorers is as follows (best to worst):

1. Gibson modern day long scale "reissue" ,
2. Epi regular long scale model,
3. 80ies Shadow Explorer,
4. 80ies regular Grabber pups Explorer.

The jump from 4 to 3 is quite considerable - in my ears the Shadow sounds a lot more assertive, livelier and with a voice of its own than the regular model. Fears of it sounding clinical or tinny are unfounded, the piezo works well with the maho body and the sound is actually warm and blurry.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 08:01:26 AM »
Just got outbid on whitey, and I don't think I'm going to go any higher...

I have a feeling I'd like the pickup positioning on the Epi a lot more than I did on the Gibson. Very Ric-ish.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »
I'm starting to smell a shill bidder. r***i starting driving things up at $200. Zero feedback, and 100% of bids are to this seller. Too bad, it's such a pretty bass, but I'm not playing that game...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »
Last second sniping is more fun, as a fresh bidder...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »

Ain't no auction until the last minute.  My bids go in with 20 seconds left in the countdown.  Any bid I make before that is just a lowball placeholder to make an item easy to find.  All that bidding before the last minute does is run up the price when someone makes 30 bids, a buck higher each time, until they outbid you.  With 20 seconds left, I get one shot at it and they get one shot at it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 12:53:46 AM »
Ain't no auction until the last minute.

Ain't no auction until the last second. I've used EZsniper for almost 10 years.  1% premium ( 25 cents minimum, $10 maximum) is well worth it.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 08:00:20 AM »
I usually wait till the last seconds too, but this ended during my work day, and there's always a very good chance I'll get sidetracked or be busy with something, so I had to get a bid in.

I won my 4003S/8 by placing a bid of $2500 a few hours before it ended, because I was going to be at a gig. I got home to find out I won at $2250.  :mrgreen:

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 08:27:26 AM »
The ranking of Gibson related Explorers is as follows (best to worst):

1. Gibson modern day long scale "reissue" ,
2. Epi regular long scale model,
3. 80ies Shadow Explorer,
4. 80ies regular Grabber pups Explorer.

What about this one?  :mrgreen:
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1010.0
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 09:51:47 AM »
It's a one-off, doesn't count! And I can't really take a small scale Explorer serious - it's a fine short scale bass in its own right, but that is it. I'd put it before the Shadow but behind the Epi. An Explorer - like a T-Bird - needs to be long scale. Visually and acoustically. Size matters.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 04:35:36 PM »
Ain't no auction until the last second. I've used EZsniper for almost 10 years.  1% premium ( 25 cents minimum, $10 maximum) is well worth it.

Yeah that's the way to do it.

I've won a lot with auctionstealer.com.  It's all web based, free for a 10-20 second snipe, and something like $2 for a 3 second snipe.  I hardly ever pay the fee unless its for something really special.  Highest proxy bid wins in the end anyway, and so even the quickest snipe isn't a guarantee.

I won my 4003S/8 by placing a bid of $2500 a few hours before it ended, because I was going to be at a gig. I got home to find out I won at $2250.  :mrgreen:

That's always a great feeling!  8)