Author Topic: Arthur Smith  (Read 463 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Arthur Smith
« on: April 03, 2014, 09:24:18 PM »
Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith passed away earlier today at age 93. I doubt many of you know the name -- and his nickname was to distinguish him from country fiddler Arthur Smith -- but I'll bet most of you have heard at least one of his two most famous compositions.

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Arthur Smith
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 11:45:15 PM »
My dad really liked that kind of music, although Chet Atkins was his favorite.   I've probably heard the first song even more than the second one (which fortunately Arthur Smith must have made quite a lot of money on due to the lawsuit.)
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »
Yes indeed... rip...

Marc Bolan made good use on the first one...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »
He looked much healthier as an old man than he did as a kid!

Re the first vid: For 1945 and a white cat to boot that was a pretty novel guitar playing style. But I believe Rick Nelson stole from him before Marc Bolan did!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »

Re the first vid: For 1945 and a white cat to boot that was a pretty novel guitar playing style. But I believe Rick Nelson stole from him before Marc Bolan did!

I don't remember Rick doing a cover. But The Virtues had a big hit with a rockin' version a few months before I started taking guitar lessons in 1959. It was one of the first difficult songs I learned. But6 I couldn't play it that fast.