Author Topic: The New Wonder Women Costume  (Read 10866 times)

Chaser001

Re: The New Wonder Women Costume
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 05:54:25 AM »
Neither do I.

I didn't understand what was going on until I read one comment in which someone said those costumes would have been fine for the 70s, but society is too sophisticated for that now.  It may be a case of people getting being sophisticated and being pretentious mixed up. 

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 06:19:43 AM »
I don't know why people took this so seriously and were so critical.  It was only meant to be a TV series developed from a comic book.  I think it would have been better than "Smallville" that stayed on TV for ten years.  Also, I see nothing wrong at all with those costumes.  I think Adrianne Palicki looked great in those.  

...but you see, these are the legions of fanboys who live with Joss Whedon, up his ass, and regard any sci-fi/fantasy show lacking a female lead so strong it can't but help express a latent gender-identity issue as unworthy of their precious viewing time.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:20:54 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 07:14:32 AM »
You see a lot more skin in every Vicky's Secret commercial.

Dang, where were they when I was a young guy? ? ? ? ? ?   :-[
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chaser001

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 07:28:35 AM »
http://weblogs.variety.com/bltv/2011/06/wonder-woman-pilot-merits-a-second-look.html

This pretty much expresses the way I feel about the topic.  Perez Hilton, on the other hand, is still complaining about how Adrianne Palicki looks like she is wearing a Halloween costume, etc.  He is happy the show will never see the light of day. 

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 07:29:20 AM »
I didn't understand what was going on until I read one comment in which someone said those costumes would have been fine for the 70s, but society is too sophisticated for that now.  It may be a case of people getting being sophisticated and being pretentious mixed up. 

Depends on which head you are thinking with.

Chaser001

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »
Depends on which head you are thinking with.

That's true that there is that element to it.  But I'm just a casual science fiction fan who watches stuff just for the fun of it.   The serious science fiction fan is someone such as Kenny.  His approach actually would be considered sophisticated.  But saying that someone is too sophisticated to watch a comic book character in a costume because it looks too "Halloweenish" --the way Perez Hilton is doing--seems a little supercilious to me. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2011, 08:26:39 AM »

I appreciate cleavage as much as the next man, but that costume looks plain horrible and dated. The colors, the style, the make-up, her crown ... Flash (or Flesh?) Gordon is greeting. Super hero costumes have to go with fashion too. That poor actress looks like she is participating in a disco roller contest circa. 1977.

Here, they should have asked a modern designer to do his interpretation of the costume. The X Men movies, for all their flaws, showed how you can visually update action heroes and bring them into our times.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:48:58 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chaser001

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »
Wearing tights on TV may not be a good idea, although I think Adrianne Palicki looks pretty good in hers even if they are a little gaudy.  As it turns out, according to the reviewer who saw and reviewed the pilot, Wonder Woman had several costumes in her wardrobe.  By the conclusion of the pilot, she was wearing short shorts, something which had worked out very well for Lynda Carter.  If the initial photo of Adrianne Palicki had been in shorts, it's possible things could have turned out differently.  Nevertheless, this talk of movies is making me think that maybe Wonder Woman is better off on the big screen anyway, although there has been a lot of talk through the years and nothing seems to happen.  I remember thinking years ago as a youth reading Edgar Rice Burroughs how nice it would be if they would make a John Carter of Mars movie.  They're just getting around to it after all this time and it may be years before a Wonder Woman movie appears, too. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:22:38 PM by Chaser001 »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2011, 11:08:15 AM »

I appreciate cleavage as much as the next man, but that costume looks plain horrible and dated. The colors, the style, the make-up, her crown ...

I was never really into comics but this statement really only makes sense if you're not talking about a character based in comics. The X Men comparison isn't as apt (I think) as a Superman one would be. The red and blue thing goes back to the patriotic element that existed in the original comics. Changing it too much takes away what it was in the first place. Batman got an update but it actually took him back to the original concept and away from the campy 60's version. X

As for whether the costume didn't comport with modern reality, that's about as stupid a comment as I'd expect from someone complaining about a TV show. Like super heroes can fly or deflect bullets (or tie you up with a golden rope to make you tell the truth) but putting them in funny clothes makes it too fantastic to believe?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2011, 05:25:37 PM »
That is a horribly garish red and blue - you can get the Stars 'n' Stripes connection just as well with more subdued shades of red and blue. Since when was the US flag metallic red and metallic blue?  ???

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »
i love how the show has never aired, was cancelled weeks ago. and you guys are still talking about it. what a bunch of dirty old men. i love you guys. and she looks great in all the costumes i've seen. but WW was never that good of a character to begin with.maybe a "TV Movie" but it wouldn't make it as a series. Hero's was pretty good but that didn't last either.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2011, 07:20:42 PM »
I find her wholly unattractive in that slutfest of a costume, I'm sorry to say. Too much cherry pie will kill my sex urge.

Now Jean Grey of the X Men is another matter:

Admittedly, early childhood memories of Emma Peel/Diana Rigg of The Avengers might have left an imprint on me, but even without a leather jumpsuit Jeannie is still hot:

And she has a temper:

Unforgiveable that she had to die as both the good girl (in Part 2) and bad girl (in Part 3).  :-\ :-\ :-\

Say what you will, but DC was always crap compared to Marvel. With the exception of Batman in his darkest hours, none of the DC superheroes had much depth and a lot - Superman, Wonder Woman - were outright cheesy.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:26:25 PM by uwe »

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
you can never have too much cherry pie.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2011, 02:29:22 AM »
cherry pie=good

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2011, 04:53:39 AM »
I find her wholly unattractive in that slutfest of a costume, I'm sorry to say. Too much cherry pie will kill my sex urge.

Now Jean Grey of the X Men is another matter:

Admittedly, early childhood memories of Emma Peel/Diana Rigg of The Avengers might have left an imprint on me, but even without a leather jumpsuit Jeannie is still hot:

I'm with you on the Dianna Rigg thing Uwe. Without being exposed to the Avengers as a teenager I may have turned out boring.  ;D
Digresion our specialty!