Author Topic: Bass solos....  (Read 11930 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Bass solos....
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 07:06:19 PM »
I think my favorite bass solo is Glen Cornick's performance in "Boureé". It totally fits into the song as a whole, sounds great, is neither too long nor too short and in my opinion adds something to the song it would not have otherwise.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 01:23:54 AM »
Agree compeletly about that line in Reach out! Absolutely great, everything about it. Also digs the drive in Jamersons playing, together with the drums in 7 rooms of gloom:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 04:47:42 AM »
The solo in "My Generation" is around the longest bass solo I can tolerate.

Does "The Real Me" qualify? I always preferred that one...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 07:38:42 AM »
This is close enough to a solo for me.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 07:56:11 AM »
I have no problem with Stanley Clarke's bass solos.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 08:15:45 AM »
clarke is a jazz guy, they have to solo. it's a law or something. no solo, no jazz. :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:14:06 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 09:07:51 AM »
Regarding The Who: Wowie! And Wowie Zowie! Where did Entwhistle get his ideas of bass playing? That galopping style, those myriads of tones... And just to watch Moons looney smile behind the skins.... Oj! Oj! Oj!, as we pronounce it over here!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »
I think my favorite bass solo is Glen Cornick's performance in "Boureé". It totally fits into the song as a whole, sounds great, is neither too long nor too short and in my opinion adds something to the song it would not have otherwise.

totally agree......
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »
Personally, I find bass solos intriguing. There are a lot of different ways that bassists can solo - some are absolute virtuosos, like Jaco, able to solo freely on their instrument on the same level as a saxophonist for example. Other soloists aren't as virtuosic but instead play within the limitations of their instrument - Jack Bruce comes to mind. The division between jazz and rock is interesting - I think whether or not you like bass solos will depend on what kind of music you listen to. In some kinds of music, solos are the lifeblood of the music - in others, they are subservient to the song.

I remember watching one of those "Bass Days" videos - something like that, where a bunch of top bassist perform, and at the end they had a bunch playing together at the same time - I seem to remember Steve Bailey, Oteil Burbridge, Tony Levin - all the solos were pretty boring, the best one was Billy Sheehan! His had attitude and conviction that the others lacked.

I finally started learning how to solo in the past ten years. I've been playing for almost thirty. I started mainly out of necessity - I started making my own original music, and couldn't lean on a guitarist to take the lead anymore, so I had to do it. I was partly inspired by blues artists like Muddy Waters - they aren't virtuosos, but when they solo they play like they mean it. So I finally learned to work within my limitations and put my heart into my playing, trying to turn off that part of my mind that tells me that I'm not good enough, etc.

But also take into account that I don't play in a band these days - I know that in a band, where songs are the focus, that often the simplest bass line can often be the most supportive and best for the song. I'm lucky that I can make music for myself without worrying what other people think. I try and make music that uses the sounds of the bass that I want to hear, and instead of it being buried underneath other instruments, I can make that the focus of the song.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 04:45:16 AM »
I like to light it up and take a lead line once or twice around and I like to start some tunes with a nice catchy line. Showing off a little is always good ;D.
It's the self indulgent 3 minute stand alone, it's all about me bass thing that I can't handle. Like nofi says, in jazz it's kind of a law that each member of the band do this, and it does work to some extent. Still, I think it works better without it most of the time. When you're Stanley Clark, Jaco, Ron Carter or Ray Brown you're kind of in a different class and I'm OK with whatever they want to do :P.
Rick

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 05:19:10 AM »
you lie, rick. this is the real you. :mrgreen:

more of a vertical, electric drum solo imo.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 07:32:09 AM »
I wish the SNL Bass-Off skit was available online. Anyone else remember it? From about 10 years ago, with Jack Black and Will Ferrell (who both normally annoy me) playing bassists trying to outdo each other with self-indulgent solos.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 04:09:42 AM »
Pekka Pohjola played some fine solos on his albums and this is my favourite solo of his (starts at 4:20):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_zFKgJQMcDU#t=251s

They even doubled it with guitar when played live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z8BbytwyCyQ
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:16:58 AM by Pekka »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 04:15:38 AM »
you lie, rick. this is the real you. :mrgreen:

Nah, I would have a bass with flashing dots and fire spitting out the head piece. Oops, there is no headpiece :o.
Rick

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »
Regarding The Who: Wowie! And Wowie Zowie! Where did Entwhistle get his ideas of bass playing? That galopping style, those myriads of tones... And just to watch Moons looney smile behind the skins.... Oj! Oj! Oj!, as we pronounce it over here!

I think Entwistle's style HAD to evolve from his years of playing with Moon...similar excessive unorthodox fills while still somehow holding down the rhythm. Very distinctive and unlike any other rhythm section. Almost hard to believe that a bass and drummer playing like that could actually keep a rhythm going...almost like Townshend was more the rhythm section at times.

I've been a Who fan since I was a little kid and Entwistle was one of my main influences when I first started playing.

My drummer of many years absolutely HATED...REALLY HATED...Keith Moon's playing and was more from the Bonham/Bruford/Peart school of drumming.