Author Topic: Anyone play Flats exclusively in a hard rock, yet "versatile" setting?  (Read 3198 times)

Deathshead

• View Profile
hey guys, I have been playing bass for about 15 years now, for most of that time I played fenders with rotosound stainless rounds..changing them once a month.

After a small hiatus in playing, I tried a set of Rotosound steve harris flats, great, but WAY too high in tension,

Went down to 45-105s and they are perfect for me.  plus they last!, had a set on a P-bass for over a year and still sound great and are still very brite. 

So after 2 years of running only these roto flats, to me playing a bass with roundwounds now just feels and sounds tinny, brassy, and just cheap.

Anyone running strictly flats? I play a wide spectrum of music, from classic/punk rock, 80s, to jamiroqui style funk, and they are alot more versatile then many make them out to be.

all in all Flats make your bass sound like a bass! with that nice strong fundamental,
and what else sounds better with a pick and a svt with the gain cranked 3/4 up?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:38:25 AM by Deathshead »

Deathshead

• View Profile
Re: Anyone play Flats exclusively in a hard rock, yet "versatile" setting?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 07:16:10 AM »
ha, after doing a little googling it seems that there are like 1000 threads just like mine,

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:29:53 AM »
I probably enjoy playing flats more, but the "angry piano sound"-kid in me still rears its roundwound head sometimes. They both have a place.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 07:50:31 AM »
Throughout High School and a few years of college, the hardcore rock/cover bands that I was in was all played on Fender Tapewounds (yes Dave, I know these aren't technically flats, but rounds wrapped in tape)/Chromes. I never had a problem with them at all, and loved the tone I was getting. I only changed off the flats because my college band started covering RHCP and I had a personal problem playing slap tunes on  flats, it didn't feel right to me.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 07:51:24 AM »
I keep 1 Dano w/ flats and 1 w/ rounds (I need flexible rounds for some styles of music)...

Use flats on the EUB, also...I just put a new set of Fender Medium light flats on the EUB, after getting frustrated w/ tapewounds...they feel like bridge cables, but with high action, they reproduce the slap sound better than anything I've found.  They just kind of hit the fingerboard and go thunk.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:08:25 AM by patman »

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 09:17:10 AM »
all in all Flats make your bass sound like a bass!

That is the best description I've heard yet!
For several decades I played nothing but rounds or half rounds. I hated flats and I hated tape wounds even more. I could never picture myself seeing things any different, but something happened about five years ago and I did a 180 degree flip ???
I think you just said it better than I ever have, "Flats make your bass sound like a bass". That being said, I still appreciate a nice boinky , zingy round wound sound, but that is something I don't really do anymore , so I have become a flats and tapes guy :)

I play blues , jazz and good ole' straight ahead rock and roll. I have a  Fender 51 P RI and a 70 P , both with D'Addario Crome Flats, Tacoma/Olympia electric / acoustic with La'Bella Tapes, and a strictly acoustic Earthwood with Ernie Ball Bronze Rounds (because it's an Acoustic).
I am very happy with the way everything is working and I can't imagine my tastes in string choice changing. However, I never could forsee myself changing from rounds to flats five years ago either :o ;)

Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 09:25:58 AM »
To each his own. But the idea that flats generally have a stronger fundamental is just not true. Having fewer highs doesn't mean you have more lows.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 09:34:19 AM »
I do think you can get a stronger "percussion" or "thud" from flats

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 09:54:48 AM »
Throughout High School and a few years of college, the hardcore rock/cover bands that I was in was all played on Fender Tapewounds (yes Dave, I know these aren't technically flats, but rounds wrapped in tape)/Chromes. I never had a problem with them at all, and loved the tone I was getting. I only changed off the flats because my college band started covering RHCP and I had a personal problem playing slap tunes on  flats, it didn't feel right to me.

that sounds right, listen to to the look sharp album, its all tapewounds on a ibanez blazer P/J, awsome tone.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:44 AM »
To each his own. But the idea that flats generally have a stronger fundamental is just not true. Having fewer highs doesn't mean you have more lows.

it's addition by subtraction!  ;)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 03:04:03 PM »
Anyone running strictly flats?

Me.  The four bands I play in are a Rolling Stones tribute band, a blues/rock/soul power trio, a Grease & Saturday Night Fever tribute show, and a covers dance band that plays everything from Motown, 70s and 80s disco, through to Anastacia, Ricky Martin and Kylie Minogue.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Hornisse

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 04:17:44 PM »
Steve Harris has pretty good tones with them in Iron Maiden.

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 04:39:16 PM »
All I use is flats have for a long time.
Tony

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 04:53:38 PM »
Can't get on with them, but that's just me...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 05:16:48 PM »
I actually have them on my Alembic Series 1.  It came with rounds but I slapped a set of 15 year old Dean Markley Flats on it.  I had them on a Musicman Stingray bass back in the mid 1990's but took them off before selling it.  They sound great on the Alembic.  I wiped them off with some Isopropyl alcohol before putting them on the bass.  The original Series basses came with Pyramid Flats from the factory.  May try those eventually.