Author Topic: WoW! look at this!  (Read 2660 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
WoW! look at this!
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »

Can't say as I've ever even heard of one of these! It's SO COOL!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Gibson-Explorer-8-String-Bass-RARE_W0QQitemZ130199744584QQihZ003QQcategoryZ64402QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Uwe? Perhaps a specimen for ze museum?
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: WoW! look at this!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »
He just cut it up that way for himself, I find the way he's drilled holes through the frailest part of the headstock/neck connection to thread the octave strings through very disturbing. Granted, the Explorer has a three piece maple neck that can take some punishment.

Uwe
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:06:15 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »

You know at first I thought it was "stock" ............Oh well  :-\
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:53:50 PM »
Well, it's certainly a labor of love and some thought was put into it. And if it held up so far ... Mind you, he's really using thin strings ... his E is an 85. While 90ies as E strings are not uncommon with 8 string sets, the Explorer is a medium scale so an 85 E string should be a flabby affair.

I might be tempted to go after this if the eighties Explorers weren't such naff basses ... they really did the Explorer shape which I like a huge disfavor with that series. Look at an Alembic Spider to see how a Gibson Explorer bass should have/could have looked.

I also have doubts whether those midrangy Grabber pups Gibson insisted on mounting on the Explorers (they brought out a bass in the mideighties with pups from the early seventies when the whole bass world was into ultra piano rrring sounds on recordings, the mind boggles  ::)) have enough presence to capture the octave strings in full, especially on a medium scale were the harmonics are kind of odd. An 8 string that doesn't capture the octave strings with some transparency really only sounds like a muddy 4 string at the best of times.

The thin strings and medium scale should make playing this thing easier on the hands though.

I'd give it an A for originality and innovation, but only a  C- for the Gibson origin raw materials.

Uwe   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 01:00:13 PM by uwe »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 04:35:29 AM »
Aw, shucks, ze flesh is weak ... I've put a bid in just to see how a medium scale 8 string feels like ...  ::)

I'll either keep it battleworn as is or give it some garish 80ies fin - EvH white stripes on red wouldn't go amiss on this one ... Besides, I needed another Explorer case. Come to think of it, I might even stick TB Plus pups in.

Not expecting much competition on this one really!  ;D ;D ;D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 11:05:12 AM »
I was tempted by it actually, but I'm not in buying mode at the moment... It looks like whomever did the work was familiar with BC Rich 8 strings of the era, as both the tuner 'shelf' and the string thru slots at the headstock are reminiscent of those. 

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:07:46 AM »
This is the one I always wanted- I hear they are pretty fragile though?
http://cgi.ebay.com/BC-Rich-Bich-8-string-Bass-early-80s_W0QQitemZ320218747712QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Kramer is another cool 8 string with the model G pups

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »

Uwe, I had no idea you were so easily corrupted..........

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:14:07 AM »
Your corruption attempts did not lead to a fruitful result this time, Madame Geiger! I was outbid (I only bid 700 bucks) and was actually relieved to find out that I was because bidder's remorse had crept in with me over the weekend. So you see there is still some good in me!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:19:48 AM »
The BC Rich went for $2700+

Old BC Rich's continue to climb in value

I still want an Eagle.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 09:20:01 AM »
Your corruption attempts did not lead to a fruitful result this time, Madame Geiger! I was outbid (I only bid 700 bucks) and was actually relieved to find out that I was because bidder's remorse had crept in with me over the weekend. So you see there is still some good in me!

I WILL find a way to drag you down to my level!     ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 10:43:44 AM »
Well, that new Britney schoolgirl outfit of yours is a promising start!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 01:57:42 PM »

Nice to know you have a "soft spot"......... :D

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 02:16:35 AM »
All humanoids have soft spots, even lawyers.

But wait a minute: are lawyers humans? And what about those who are on the "dark side"?

??? ??? ???
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.