Author Topic: Show off your finished Gibson/Epi project basses - all of them!!!  (Read 15380 times)

Blazer

Re: Show off your finished Gibson/Epi project basses - all of them!!!
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2008, 08:03:54 PM »
Here's my battered and modified 2002 Les Paul Studio which I bought in the state you see it.

It has Dimarzio pickups (A PAF pro at the neck and a Super distortion at the bridge) and the stock electronics have been replaced by Switchcraft made parts. The guy who I got it from said that he couldn't get it to sound right, that the Bridge pickup had to little output and the two pickup setting sounded "tinny". So after raising the bridge pickup's height and re-soldering the pickups and reversing their phase, those problems were solved.

It has since become my main guitar in my metal band "Slavantas" and I found out that in combination with the "Chorus clean" setting of my Boss GT 5 processor it produces a beautiful eerie clean sound.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2008, 07:22:29 AM »

I gotta say that tradition aside this pic has always made me salivate:

Being on a budget I wonder if buying a cheap Epi EBO Shorty and a pair of DarkStars and doing a bit of gentle work might yield a a bit of wholesome sounding fun?

Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2008, 07:41:50 AM »
I'm sure it will, but economically speaking a set of Dark Stars will set you back $275 for a pair if I recall?

I don't think you would get your money back on an EPi. I would wait for an EB husk on Ebay for around $200 and go from there.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »
Being on a budget I wonder if buying a cheap Epi EBO Shorty and a pair of DarkStars and doing a bit of gentle work might yield a a bit of wholesome sounding fun?

by all accounts, decidedly so.   on talkbass, Mr Hammon posted an email from Jack Casady proclaiming his fondness for a DS'd Epi EB0.   go for it!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2008, 07:46:49 AM »
I'm sure it will, but economically speaking a set of Dark Stars will set you back $275 for a pair if I recall?

I don't think you would get your money back on an EPi. I would wait for an EB husk on Ebay for around $200 and go from there.

I don't know if this is still available or not but I think it's worth considering, if you can deal with the refin.

http://www.fatdawg.com/bass.html

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately I have to deal with the tyranny of distance when it comes to the cost equation. Postage from either Europe or the US to Australia for large-ish items completely sucks and old Gibson bodies are as rare as rocking horse knobs to find here.  Second hand Epi EB-0 goes for about $200 - $300 here.
Digresion our specialty!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2008, 09:17:01 AM »

Try a hair under $400 shipped - unless that was a special price just for me.  ;D

Despite the cost, the Epi thing still sounds like a fun project, though.  You might consider just using a neck pickup.  Note the pickup selector in the pic below - as full-range as the DSs are, I don't need to rely on the bridge pickup to add clarity.  That was sure not the case with the original pickups!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2008, 09:34:45 AM »
I don't know if this is still available or not but I think it's worth considering, if you can deal with the refin.

http://www.fatdawg.com/bass.html

Despite the April '06 update stated on that Subway Guitars page, I think most of those basses have been gone for many years. There are a couple shown that were long gone when I called about them 7 or 8 years ago, and most of the others have been listed at least that long.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2008, 10:08:35 AM »
I hate outdated stuff on guitar sites!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2008, 12:11:47 PM »
I love that blond Guild with the DS's. Mahog is so nice in natural.I too paid the special price for DS's.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »
Despite the April '06 update stated on that Subway Guitars page, I think most of those basses have been gone for many years.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.  he's pretty slow answering emails and such.  that would also explain the relatively low prices on some of the instruments.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »
I love that blond Guild with the DS's. Mahog is so nice in natural.

Thanks!  I waited patiently for a natural one for some time.  It's got its share of wounds, but I do love the wood and finish.  This one has a nicely figured grain to it too - shows up more prominently at a distance:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2008, 04:44:49 PM »
Very nice, fits right in with those Gibsons!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2008, 04:15:16 AM »
Just saw where the latest Epiphone EB-x's have Basswood bodies   :puke:
Digresion our specialty!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2008, 03:02:14 AM »
my refinned & rewired ripper

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 03:14:56 AM by ramone57 »